Occupy Gotham: my essay about the class war at the heart of Batman

In the first season of Arrow, he was murdering the 1% who “failed his city”. The show gets around the class war issues of Batman by focusing on outside groups trying to physically destroy the city.

2 Likes

By the same measure, Batman gets around the class war issues of Batman by focusing on the costumed super-villain who put him in a giant hourglass or some basement full of ninja robots.

2 Likes

“Would be conquered by” you have a typo there - the Athenian speciality was the navy all along, just as the Spartan warrior was a hoplite, the Athenian gentleman was an oarsman (though I believe if you were posh enough you paid someone to do that). The difference though, to agree with your point, is those Athenian oarsmen went on to write plays about the wars.

Doh! Me not do ancient history in school so I got a bit confused…

4 Likes

Goofy Batman can be the best kind of Batman!

Grimdark Dark Knight gets obnoxious or veers into parody pretty fast.

Nowadays they the “Dark Knight” persona gets used mostly for humorous effect. Making Batman an overly serious “Mr. Grumpypants”.

For my money, Batman Brave and the Bold is up there with Batman the Animated Series for best cartoon portrayals of the character.

2 Likes

Um, Sparta defeated the Athenians in the Peloponnesian War. They did it by building a navy.

It would take the subsequent conquest by the Romans to revive the cultural legacy of the Athenians

2 Likes

I thought Athens defeated Sparta! Whoops. My bad.

2 Likes

No biggie.

But if you are interested in cool historical fiction about that period, check out Steven Pressfield’s books:

Gates of Fire (about Thermopylae)

and

Tides of War

He writes in a very breezy contemporary style and takes the piss out of a lot of mythologizing.

2 Likes

Just checking my local library! The recent novelisations of ancient Greek stuff I’ve enjoyed included The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/aug/22/silence-of-the-girls-pat-barker-book-review-iliad
And Circe by Madeleine Miller Madeline Miller - Circe She also did a novel called the song of Achilles which I enjoyed.

2 Likes

Cool. I will check it out.

Reminds me of my own Batman storyline, which involves only Bruce Wayne as Bruce Wayne, no Batman whatsoever. And no Bat-gadgets, either: only the powers of intelligence, willpower, and extreme wealth.

The story takes place over many years, as Wayne meets with various wealthy men and women, deals with them socially as a member of their elite class, gradually figuring out who is spending their wealth on Bad Things; Wayne then launches a climactic series of lawsuits which strip the criminals of their wealth and influence.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.