Odd Stuff (Part 1)

Are we headed toward an A.I. bubble, like “the internet” in 1999 and the housing market in 2006?

1 Like

Looking at ventures like Uber, Lyft and, to some extent, Tesla - we’re already there.

2 Likes

Google bans stalkerware apps from Android store. Which is cool but… why were they allowed in the first place?

In an update to its Android Developer Program Policy, Google on Wednesday said stalkerware apps in its app store can no longer be used to stalk non-consenting adults.

Stalkerware, which the web giant defines as “code that transmits personal information off the device without adequate notice or consent and doesn’t display a persistent notification that this is happening,” may still be used for keeping track of one’s kids.

4 Likes

Mozilla’s mail reader, Thunderbird, has implemented a feature first requested 21 years ago.

The somewhat garbled request – “I’d appreciate a plugin for PGP to ede and encrypt PGP crypted messages directly in Mozilla” [sic] – appears to have gone unimplemented due to concerns about US laws that bar export of encryption, debate about whether PGP was the right way to do crypto, and other matters besides.

2 Likes

Amazon gets its tax excuses in early amid rising UK profits – but leaves El Reg off the press list. Can’t think why

Amazon tried to head off negative column inches about its tax-efficient operations in Britain by cherry-picking journalists to brief on its latest financial results days before they hit Companies House.

It’s almost as if somebody had a guilty conscience, though to have a guilty conscience, one must have a conscience in the first place.

1 Like
3 Likes

i.e. “grinding up trees could be massive source of synthetic fuel”

4 Likes
1 Like

Venomous trees.

8 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

Exhibits such as this one demonstrate blacksmith advanced skills

That’s a funny caption because it accompanies a photo of the shield boss from the Gommern grave, famously the one known shield boss of the time period NOT made by a blacksmith, because it was fashioned from a Roman silver chalice.

Well, funny to some I suppose.

5 Likes

I saw the title, “Eclipse foods,” and thought it was a food source being planned for when we are cast into perpetual darkness/dusk. I was expecting something similar to the algae farms on “The 100.”
Was not disappoint.

4 Likes

Leave it to the land of Oz! I think they also have the only known species of venomous birds.

3 Likes

SO was right about hearing sonic booms at lunchtime.

5 Likes

Ever since 911 I’ve become very sensitive to the sounds over my NoVa home. Have not heard sonic booms but do hear the roar of fighter jets from time to time. Usually chasing towards stray planes entering no-fly zone.

The sound gets your attention.

8 Likes

I live on a small island ringed by military bases. We have attack helicopters running maneuvers within earshot at least once per day, loud enough to drown out anything we might be watching or listening to except Wagner.

11 Likes

we get Navy jets out of Key West over our Island all the time and, yes, that sound always makes me look up.
Those jets will come in low and fast over the water when we are out fishing the reef. It raises the hairs and gives me a hollow feeling in my guts. Prolly fucks up my catch, too… as if I was catching anything, anyways!

11 Likes