Odd Stuff (Part 1)

Peter Dinklage in punk/funk band Whizzy. 1990ish

10 Likes

A man goes into the doctor’s office and says “Doctor, I think I’m a moth.”
The doctor says, “I’m sorry, but the psychiatrist is next door.”
The man replies “I know, but your light was on.”

12 Likes

OMG, he needs to get the band back together!

5 Likes
7 Likes

the-band

3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

For the record, there is no debate. I’ve been using Pyrex my entire life, and inherited my grandfather’s collection (he was born in 1895, to give you some idea). At most, borosilicate Pyrex might chip on an edge. The pieces I got more recently, before I understood the change in manufacture, are mostly gone because at some point they shattered…and when they shatter, it is catastrophic. Probably bad for the lungs, to have so many billions of tiny shards of glass everywhere. It will take over a half hour to clean up, IF you’re alone and don’t have to fend off children and animals at the same time. And even then, you won’t allow anyone in the area without shoes for at least a week. It’s bad.

If you see a green tinge in the glass, it’s soda lime (lime = green, so it’s easy to remember). Do not buy. It’s easy enough to get the real stuff still, by other manufacturers.

9 Likes

I’m not sure what the brand or glass was, but I had a few of those glass bowls with plastic Tupperware-like lids for microwaving lunches. Now, there needs to be a law that if you make things like that they need to be designed to nest properly, especially glassware. These could be stacked, but poorly, and often stuck together.

I had them stacked on a lower shelf in my kitchen. I was moving something else, and it bumped something behind them, and knocked the whole stack off the shelf. The stack flipped over as it fell, landing on the top of the top bowl. I winced, expecting a shattering crash, but instead it was a dull thump. I stared at the stack (my reflexes are pretty slow at the best of times) and then started thinking about how hard it was going to be to separate the bowls now, and my general annoyance about the design. Only then, as I was just starting to move, did the bottom (now on top) bowl explode, blasting glass shards four feet in every direction.

3 Likes

By your description, I can tell you that it was soda-lime, not borosilicate, which would have broken it bigger chunks that weren’t as dangerous.

5 Likes

https://abcnews.go.com/Weird/wireStory/germany-drunk-passenger-demands-high-speed-train-slow-61745615?ref=hvper.com&utm_source=hvper.com&utm_medium=website

2 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

I don’t know where this belongs exactly but I feel it must be shared. I am not going to suffer alone on this one.

2 Likes

Destined to become: “One girl, one toilet seat.”

4 Likes

I think it’s safe to say that she’s probably suffering, too.

3 Likes

Sent this to my sister, who is a member of this group. She is currently a veterinarian, was valedictorian of her class and a Yeager scholar at Marshall U. Just imagine what she could have accomplished!!

5 Likes

The way they controlled for environmental (upbringing) factors was to look at girls who were raised alone because their twin brothers died shortly after birth.

I wonder if the disappointment of losing the son and being ‘stuck’ with only a daughter, could be a psychological factor.

Sounds like your family environment was not detrimental to your sister. Yay for that!

5 Likes