Ohio newspaper chain owner says his papers doesn't publish articles about LGBTQ people

On the (small) bright side; the guy doing the censoring is apparently too much of a dick to memory-hole a topic properly.

Polemical censorship is fun, flamboyant, and exciting; but the competent professionals are the ones who know how to make a topic just never appear; and its non-appearance seem so natural as to be hard to even articulate as a question. He is not one of them.

Doesn’t change the fact that fine small towns with fine small town values have a reputation for sending their children screaming for the nearest pocket of civilization as fast as they can get out that they’ve worked hard to deserve.

2 Likes

maybe going after the advertisers would be the way, especially larger companies that may have anti-discrimination policies.
what an icky situation.

maybe at some point, one of his friends or relatives comes out of the closest and gives him a new perspective on life.

2 Likes

For a large segment of the population online news isn’t “real.” Yes, this is a problem that will eventually be corrected via attrition, but for now, those sources are still suspect to a lot of people. Even having other print sources from outside the area isn’t a complete solution – showing that LGBTQ+ people exist elsewhere only leads to statements of “Well, sure, they have those people in $largeCity, but not here!”

One more reason I do make an effort to be out of all of my closets, even when it’s scary sometimes.

4 Likes

Not that I wish to defend this guy,

The backspace key is a wonderful thing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.