Oil industry is running out of employees, because millennials

Now I know where to look for a job.
This, or cigarette rolling.

3 Likes

Switch to weed and you probably could make a living.

4 Likes

Came to see this GIF; was not disappointed. :thumbsup:

5 Likes

I think even in the future once renewables are the norm there will still be some use for petrochemical processes or something like it. Perhaps for industrial applications but i doubt that the need for professionals in that field will go away, just the intended use of the products. But having a diminished reliance on the oil industry is a good thing, and this despite me having family that works in the oil industry.

4 Likes

Yet forests are still being converted to farmland.

3 Likes

Lol. As a millennial who worked in the oil industry, we were the first to get the sack as soon as the price dipped a few years back. No millennial I know got their old job back, and they are mostly looking for work in other industries to escape the brutal boom/bust cycle. And we’re all envious about how the boomers used to have high paying, lots of perks, and secure jobs that the industry doesn’t offer anymore.

21 Likes

This doesn’t sound especially new, but there’s greater participation (or lack thereof). In '90 I was in college with a few geology majors who all lamented that they could look forward to careers in poorly paid academia, or highly paid petroleum industry jobs. None of them wanted to work for companies that would use them to look for fascinating geological features just to destroy them, but they also knew that taking the “high road” would mean a barely livable income in some college town waiting for someone with tenure to die.

7 Likes

Now I’m wondering if the tobacco industry is running out of employees.

(No one’s going to try a campaign stating, “Cigarettes tap potential, cigarettes pump life,” I would think.)

3 Likes

I’m a Gen-Xer and I am also envious of the boomers with their high-paying jobs, lots of perks, and relatively secure jobs.

16 Likes

That choice between low paying “ethical work” and high paying “unethical work” doesn’t even exist for the oil industry anymore. There’s a huge glut of unemployed geologists & the industry has started to automate a lot of the exploratory professions.

5 Likes

Their motto was “Dear Lord, please let there be another oil boom - I promise not to piss it all away this time”.

5 Likes

In South America? To my understanding, that’s primarily for ranching, not directly for growing crops for food. As much as I love a nice steak, it’s clear that raising cattle for increasing global beef consumption is not sustainable.

However, in the same region, sugar cane is sustainably grown to be converted to ethanol fuel.

I’m a chemical engineer ( I don’t work directly in the oil industry ), but a professor in grad school once commented (and I’m paraphrasing and inserting the number from the above pie chart): “Oil is such an interesting and chemically diverse feed stock – and over 90% of it is simply burned.”

8 Likes

I truly hope that this is a sign of some sort of change. However, I wonder how many baby-boomers were saying the same about their dad’s industry back around the time of “summer of love”, and look how they turned out.

Back than all the cool kids were hippies setting out to make a better world…

2 Likes

Almost literally the provincial motto of Alberta.

5 Likes

Yes, South America is an example. Australia, too. It is interesting that the biggest contributor to their “strategy” in ghg mitigation was based on slowing forest clearing. Not stopping, not re-forestation but just easing up a little. I think they’ve pretty-much given up on that now, and it’s back to business as usual. And the building of giant coal mines.

My point is that in spite of their being enough food for all, the footprint of food production continues to grow. Better choices such as semi or full vegetarianism, as well as better and more equitable distribution are all important if we wish to reduce the impact of agriculture on the natural world. As is making land-efficient and water-efficient choices for sun farming.

4 Likes

As long as you’re white.

Plenty of brothers make living selling weed - legally and illegally.

Tell that to the people who find it surprisingly difficult to obtain legal licenses in various places because their skin tone doesn’t match the right region on a pantone chart.

Oakland had the right idea, and continues to.

8 Likes

Train oil, for example, is a great renewable substitute.