Da Musicz

I’ll have to check out his Hindemith on YT!

Now, I have the Gould DVDs which include Schoenberg, Berg, Webern, Scriabin, etc., the Goldberg Variations (from 1981; incredible technique), and all including his always interesting, yet odd and overly pedantic, opinions and observations. I love hearing musicians discuss music.

Last night I found on Amazon the Deutsche Grammophon pressing of Brendel with the BRO . Along with Schoenberg it includes Berg’s Violin Concerto. I had to refer to my Grammophon Good CD Guide to make sure that this pressing sourced the original VOX (1959 or thereabouts); it apparently does. At least one other label covers this, that being Universal Classics. I have no idea how the sound compares between the two; unless you know, I’ll google about for reviews to nail down a label.

4 Likes

I’m only familiar with the DG vinyl, which I picked up some 45 years ago. (I wore out the vinyl years ago, though - I now have a CD with Brendel playing with another orchestra.) The Berg concerto wasn’t included, just Schoenberg’s Violin Concerto with Zvi Zeitlin doing the honours as soloist. After checking on Amazon, I see they had Henryk Szeryng as soloist on the Berg concerto. That sounds familiar: I may have it kicking around on a different compilation.

Brendel’s performance with the BRSO is on YouTube, however:

4 Likes

I’ll check that one out at home!

thx.

1 Like

Mon plaisir. I suspect you’ll enjoy this one.

1 Like

Your suspicion was correct! Thanks! Now I’ll need to get the CD for a proper listening and comparison to the Uchida/Boulez OP42.

3 Likes
8 Likes
4 Likes

Probably my favorite and most shreddy Django song:

10 Likes

<this_is_a_test msg=“aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cueW91dHViZS5jb20vd2F0Y2g/dj1VX2o0RXEzemlFNA==”/>

6 Likes
5 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl (Two different versions, not sure which is orig.)

2 Likes

Music from a simpler time:

Play this at work, without headphones.

I. Fucking. Dare. You.

4 Likes

Too easy; you said nothing about volume.

3 Likes
7 Likes

RIP Chris Cornell

7 Likes

Echo and the Bunnymen - The Killing Moon

6 Likes

I’ve always loved a rough-hewn sound…The Hives, The Pixies, Butthole Surfers.

2 Likes