Ongoing Mpox Happenings and other epidemic news

That’s not a fun read. One of the hallmarks of poxviruses has been thought to be their relative stability. This beast seems to be throwing out varients considerably faster than expected. Paucity of data isn’t helping, especially here in the states.
Old alledgedly Iraqui proverb i quote a lot, “A drowning man is not afrad of the rain.” This year seems determined to prove that wrong.

7 Likes
7 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/28/health/cdc-eoc-monkeypox/index.html

The activation of the EOC “allows the agency to further increase operational support for the response to meet the outbreak’s evolving challenges,” the agency said in a news release.

This facility is currently activated for Covid-19 and is where experts monitor information on other public health emergencies, such as hurricanes, earthquakes and oil spills.

According to CDC’s webpage, the center works to outline a structure of response from the government and alongside non-government actors in emergency response.

Most recent data from the CDC show at least 244 probable or confirmed cases of monkeypox in the US.

The infection announced Monday involves a Twin Cities man who is receiving outpatient treatment for an infection that likely occurred during travel to Europe.

7 Likes
7 Likes
11 Likes
8 Likes

It has fallen off the headlines, but viruses don’t read, so…

Keep in mind, testing is extremely limited, so these numbers are a fraction of the actual case numbers.

10 Likes

Crikey, I have yet another 4000+ mile road trip coming up soon.
Bathrooms posed a slight challenge during the pandemic.

Now I see that contact–in the unlikely event it occurs–with the virus on surfaces (hey, roadside restrooms are busy!) is a thing.

Well.
Lovely.

NB y’all: sanitizer contact time. It’s a thing. Use the timer on your cell phone to make sure that sanitizer has the correct amount of worktime to do its magic.

10 Likes

Next verse, same as the first. It’s like we never have had a zoonotic infection change to a human one before…

So public health experts say the U.S. should have been able to handle the outbreak, and that the missteps right now look a lot like the start of the coronavirus pandemic: not enough tests or vaccines readily available, and an incomplete picture of the spread.

12 Likes

Was just coming to post that… Wish I could say I’m surprised.

6 Likes
6 Likes

New York City Health Commissioner Ashwin Vasan has apologized for the technical and logistical glitches. He told NPR that the city was still fighting COVID-19, which had stretched its resources to a “maximum bandwidth.”
“I think that what you found was a public health system that has been shorn of a workforce, with incredible rates of burnout and mental health issues amongst health care workers and public health workers,” he said. “And I think that what we need to do is support that infrastructure, support those workers, so that we can manage multiple crises at once, which is what we’re in the midst of doing.”

Covid has eviscerated the public health infrastructure, and now a (what should have been) fairly easily controllable outbreak has spread to a significant degree. I am expecting this to not be the last one.

ETA:
And then there is this.

Usually, I recommend the comment section on Ars. They have some amazing commentariat there. This one is so full of homophobia I had to check where I was. I guess, just as we have refused to learn anything from Covid, we have likewise refused to learn anything from AIDS.

9 Likes

Federal and state agencies have been scrambling to supply enough vaccines and treatments for monkeypox as demand grows by the tens of thousands.
Groups, including HIV/AIDs awareness and advocacy organizations Housing Works and ACT UP New York, said they have a list of requests for both state and federal governments.

The city [NYC] has seen more than 600 cases so far, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. As of July 20, there have been over 2,100 confirmed cases in the U.S. with numbers quickly rising, the CDC says.

And lack of testing and awareness, along with fear of being outed, absolutely predicts this is a drastic undercount. HIV/AIDS taught us nothing, Covid taught us nothing, I am beginning to think we are unreachable.

11 Likes
11 Likes

I have come to the opinion that not every new plague deserves it’s own thread. There are just too damned many of them. So here is another one.

14 Likes

Overview of current Canadian situation and state of vaccination. As with others vaccine shortage vs demand.

On the subject of other plagues: Syphilis.

9 Likes
6 Likes

More than 16,000 cases have now been reported from 75 countries, said WHO director general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

8 Likes

More than 1,000 monkeypox cases confirmed in New York City | New York | The Guardian

8 Likes

Independence Day Usa GIF by Broad City

8 Likes