Password-cracking software runs at 8 million guesses per second

That’s great, because most people are very good at memorizing a unique, random, 20-character password for every single online account they use.

Brainspore: Passwor[quote=“Brainspore, post:61, topic:8871”]
memorizing a unique, random, 20-character password for every single online account
[/quote]

Hence password storage programs, which handle that memorization for you. Assuming you trust (and manage) them to be secure in turn.

I should switch to one, someday.

No, the web browser just needs to internalize this functionality. The whole “requiring of third party apps to store passwords” is just lame and not workable for average joes.

In fact, it could be even easier – the browser should auto-generate secure passwords for you without you ever needing to see a password entry page.

Why this doesn’t already exist, I have no idea, because it would be insanely easier for everyone that way.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/09/cutting-the-gordian-knot-of-web-identity.html

The web browser does internalize password storage, or at least the one I use does. But (a) not everything is web, (b) not everything is even browser, and © not everything is amenable to easy cut-and-paste.

Integration is fine, and is a good start, and already exists… and isn’t enough.

Read more closely – what I proposed doesn’t exist yet. The browser should be automagically generating secure passwords on your behalf when needed.

And Chrome for Android and iOS indicates that browsers can be on all the platforms that matter.

No argument. But browsers can’t be all the user interfaces that matter.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.