People are willing to endanger human lives to protect robots, according to study

Lives schmives, plenty more where that came from. Robots though, they’re steel, they’re copper, polonium and whatchamacallit. My grandpa used to say you can always make a new baby but if your robot dies you have one foot in the poorhouse.

4 Likes

7 Likes

They added more and more human emotions to the hypothetical robots, and people became more sympathetic of them. This is a problem? It would be a bad thing if a robot with fully human emotions elicits sympathy? Westworld anyone? Is it simply having human DNA and physiology that makes a being special? James Cameron’s Avatar anyone?

I’m assuming you mean the “real” R2-D2, but heck, I’d choose the lifeless movie prop over that thing. It has some cultural value, at least.

1 Like
2 Likes
3 Likes

I’ll see your Perry Bible Fellowship and raise you an SMBC.

8 Likes

I’d go with the idea that if something has a function, rather than just being decorative, we humans tend to develop attachments to them. If there is the slightest chance we can anthropomorphise something then we will, every time.
Humans are weird.

6 Likes

And projection-y. But who can blame us when we build robots with such joie de vivre?

3 Likes

This is silly.
Everybody knows it takes two to tango!

4 Likes

Artoo, no Tango.

3 Likes

Or, if you prefer Line Dancing…

3 Likes

1cba02b056944308e72401de0acbf9dbb471aad66deea493613a633be13ab92d

5 Likes
4 Likes

Heartless Scandinavians just proved I am easily manipulated, dammit.

4 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.