People, like Marilu Henner, who remember nearly every moment of their life

True. At minimum things like weather or minor local news events can be confirmed independently and would be hard to fake?

1 Like

I’m not sure how I’d feel about having that. There’s a lot of cringey stuff in my past I don’t want to remember accurately, but then again it’s not that much better to just remember the gist of it.

On the other hand, there are beautiful moments I’d love to be able to know I was remembering accurately. Like that time in college, with the thing, and the guy, in the place… ah fuck.

I’m an interested layperson too, and I agree, and yeah I shouldn’t have phrased things that way.

I also know that I, personally, have experiences almost every day of being completely unable to recall information, only to find I can “guess” with extremely high accuracy. Feels like how I imagine those experiments on people with blindsight crossing a messy room probably felt.

1 Like

I respect her and her work far too much to ever do that, :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You are Detective Boyle and I claim my prize.
Nine-nine!!

4 Likes

Your prize, the weird forgotten obscure cooking device I got back from her after the breakup

Vivi_and_Charles

6 Likes

Well played :grin:

3 Likes

100 ants on a bed, one of 'em says, “Move over move over,” 99 ants on a bed, one of 'em says… etc.

1 Like

So I assume that se can recall when she recalled a previous memory. How many iterations deep can it go before her head explodes? Memception?

2 Likes

Marilu and a few other people are the only folks on the planet with fully functional memory systems. Not exactly a great argument for intelligent design.

They should start a commune, have kids with each other, solve crime, and save humanity from itself.

2 Likes

Here’s a little bit on the science. (We’re low budget, so be nice. )
Craig Stark on Highly Superior Autobigraphical Memory

2 Likes

Obligatory:

We, at one glance, can perceive three glasses on a table; Funes, all the leaves and tendrils and fruit that make up a grape vine. He knew by heart the forms of the southern clouds at dawn on the 30th of April, 1882, and could compare them in his memory with the mottled streaks on a book in Spanish binding he had only seen once and with the outlines of the foam raised by an oar in the Rio Negro the night before the Quebracho uprising.

2 Likes

“Its not how much you remember-its how much you forget”, Miles Davis

2 Likes

That’s how computers work.

1 Like

“Holographic” memory?

Sappho juice should get them closer to being full mentats.

I wonder what is biological basis of such memory? :thinking:

Thanks! Very helpful.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.