"Perfectly preserved" 18th century cherries found in George Washington's Mount Vernon basement

I think I’ve stumbled across one or two of those.

1 Like

Not very long - it’s just too tasty for that.

Comments like this are why I read all of the comments. Just an aside to praise our little community of happy mutants.

4 Likes

That is true, but when they found the first bottles a few weeks ago (which only contained cherries, no other fruits), the archaeologists specifically rejected that it was a cherry bounce they had found. I can’t find the specific article now, but I had a conversation about that in another online space at the time.

I knew I could count on you for the definitive answer. It’s right there in your name. :wink:

3 Likes

But if it was hidden away where you couldn’t find it… :thinking:

You are entitled to that. I still trust my assessment, and papers like the one I linked. DNA is amazingly stable.

Yes, the question if a seed remains viable is another matter, quite entirely. But even then, plants are pretty badass. And I would not be uncomfortably surprised if a pickled cherry stone would germinate after all this time. I’d celebrate that, but it’s not impossible.

Edit: typo.

2 Likes

Well, thank you. I admit I’m making myself a bit scarce since several months now, but that compliment warms me like a good wine.

I’ll drink to your health!

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352409X24002645

ETA: Let’s accompany this with some other story for the taste buds.
Palaeontologists are just as bad as archaeologists. They simply have to try if it is still edible… :crazy_face:

Looking forward for the next :mammoth: lunch…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.