Photo compares portable Mac from 25 years ago to one today

The Osborne led to the Osborne Effect:

Adam Osborne began showing the follow-on to the Osborne 1, the Osborne Executive, to journalists in early 1983. It had a number of improvements including an 80 column screen.

Dealers rapidly started cancelling orders for the Osborne 1 in anticipation of the new machine. Unsold inventory piled up despite of dramatic price cuts. This was one of the major factors that led to their bankruptcy.

I would expect if you tried to boot it up now you’d have some exploding capacitors on the PSU.

To think we’ve gone from that to forced obsolescence being a viable business strategy.

1 Like

Both concepts were common then and now. The article mentions that “MakerBot appears to have fallen victim to the Osborne effect: talking openly about a future product significantly reduced the sales of their current product.”

I have a military version Panasonic CF-29 as my personal laptop. It has two big eyelets to attach a shoulder strap. It doesn’t need a case to protect it - nor to ship it, apparently.

Any laptop that has a spare parts list, substantial screws, and pretty much zero glue is fine in my book.

6 Likes

It’s not exactly the same thing but something extremely similar exists. Not an advertisement or an endorsement. I’ve used one. I hated it and don’t recommend it. Though the people who had them seemed to like them.

(Disclaimer: I also hate those mouses that you hold your hand at a 45 degree angle for. Not a natural angle.)

1 Like

I am a poster-child for “toughbooks”, despite hating the name - which evokes shades of typing in futility upon an old Dashiell Hammett paperback. Being a multimedia artist of sorts, I am likely to be travelling with a laptop, bringing it wilderness locations, fighting or running from police and/or other violent gangs. Also I require maximum connectivity in the form of ports, ports, ports. So I am far more likely to get a ruggedized military laptop and crowbar MacOS onto it than buy Apple’s current flimsy-looking hardware. I still have whole and parts PowerBook 1200s and Pismos, because they are at least field-servicable. My poor last generation TiBook always seems like it’s wanting an excuse to die.

I am “one of those” annoying characters who will show up to play a set and carry a whole tower instead of a laptop.

2 Likes

I was thinking of the Kaypro too. Would love to find a case, do it over and plunk one down at a Starbucks. Instead of a speaker, music could be grinded out on the floppy drives.

2 Likes

Forget those new-fangled 1980s computers like the Osborne and Kaypro. Go with an IBM Portable PC from 1975.

The oldest computer I still have is an Ohio Scientific Challenger 4P from 1978/79. But it’s not portable.

Um…
It has a Thunderbolt port and two (2) USB 3 ports.
Plus a SDXC card slot.

1 Like

You are thinking of the MacBook Air. I was talking about the MacBook (now in Rose Gold!!!)
They could have added a second USB - C TB2 port to the other side, but no.

That’s a real thing, the IBM Portable PC 5100 from 1975.

Not to be confused with the IBM Portable PC 5155 from 1984.

very true. useless item not worth selling. pointless and a waste of time.

There’s not a ton of space in the MacBook retina. The motherboard is essentially surrounded on three sides by batteries.

A second usb socket would have eaten into battery space or the headphone jack, and while the 2016 update (from a manufacturing perspective) is more than just a motherboard replacement, the second port would still necessitate a more complete redesign.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.