Photographer discovers and prints a 19th century child's cat photo

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/10/photographer-discovers-and-develops-19th-century-childs-cat-photo.html

5 Likes

Whatever the technology, cats and dogs are always going to be the most immortalised subjects. I only wish the little girl had marked down the names of her fur babies.

13 Likes

That cat is most definitely dead by now.

1 Like

whoever took the photo as well, unless the photographer was a tortoise

5 Likes

I love spotting dogs and cats in very old photos. Since they (usually) aren’t wearing any clothes to place them in their time period I like to imagine they are time travelers.

12 Likes

That’s what our feline overlords would have you believe.

9 Likes

8 Likes
7 Likes

Sorry (not sorry) to be pedantic, but the glass negative was actually developed 120 years ago. Mr Stern has printed and colourised the old negative, and done quite a nice job of it too.
Photographic development is, or was, the process of chemically making the invisible latent image captured by a photographic emulsion visible, so it can be printed. Photographers used to do this all the time, up to the approximate end of the 20th century.

10 Likes

Welcome back, little guy!

4 Likes

Comments like these are why I love the BBS! They help me improve the accuracy of my writing. Someone is always a subject-area expert. I’ve learned more about terminology for crafts, guns, history, tech, and so on from people pointing out my errors.

6 Likes

that kid was a great photographer. that photo is a beauty.

6 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking while watching the video, the only flaw, from the point of view of someone who’s been a keen amateur photographer for years, and worked in print pre-press using Photoshop as well, and that is the focus point is a bit off, ideally it should be the nearest eye, but that’s being horribly nit-picking, it’s a lovely photo, and it’s a shame that I doubt any of the child’s relatives will ever see this lovely restoration.

3 Likes

Glass negatives are e bit of a hassle to work with, but unless you drop them, they will last.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.