Pick-pocketed in Ho Chi Minh City: A cautionary tale

When you see a “Warning, Pickpocket” sign, pat your pockets. This reassures yourself that you are still in possession of your money, and telegraphs to interested observers where you might have placed it.

5 Likes

Hence, my version which is [pats everywhere quickly] “I’ve been pick pocketed and lost everything!”

They always leave me alone after that.

3 Likes

It was in my front pocket. And the pockets were pretty deep. That’s why I was pretty amazed at the deftness of the thief.

Right front pocket.

Roger that, front pocket.

1 Like

For the most part, I enjoyed Vietnam very much. Ho Chi Minh City wasn’t as much to my taste as Hanoi, though. So this wasn’t meant to be a slight on a whole country, just a tale of my experience with one crime there. And you’re right, there are thieves everywhere. We were also in Barcelona, Xi’an, Delhi, Turin, Paris, Rome, London, and plenty of other cities where pickpockets are reported to be active. This experience definitely helped us be more vigilant in other places where these pickpockets were said to operate.

1 Like

Thanks, @hungryjoe. That is my point exactly. It could have happened anywhere. It just happened to me in HCMC in one of the biggest crowds I’d ever been in. The fault is mine, and the experience was valuable.

1 Like

We met one woman who had two smartphones stolen like this. The first thing people tell you is don’t take video of the crazy motorbike traffic standing while standing on the curb and don’t use your phone for navigation.

1 Like

Correct, it was in my front pocket. Always.

1 Like

That’s a funny story. And, yeah, I picked up a moneybelt after this happened.

1 Like

There are quite a few cautions you list there. And the bank thing, yeah. Not really something you can test ahead of time. It was more due to our moving around from country to country without knowing what our address was going to be more than anything (and you can’t really FedEx to an Airbnb, so we had to wait until we got to a hotel). Other than that, the bank was aces. No foreign transaction fees and reimbursed ATM charges. But yeah HCMC is fine, although I much prefer Hanoi (had a great food tour there with fantastic bun cha).

1 Like

also to, don’t put your cash in your wallet.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.