Please Lord let "3 Body Problem" be good

My wife and I tried staying with the Tencent series through, IIRC, 8 episodes. When it got to the video game stuff, we finally bailed. It seemed extremely repetitive, draggy, and the mystery wasn’t compelling enough to keep going. We watch a lot of international, captioned entertainment, so it wasn’t that.

Good on ya for editing it down. We’re going to give “3 Body Problem” a shot though. Maybe they can trim the fat off the story and make it more engaging.

1 Like

Yeah I bailed after 3 episodes, and I watch subtitled Chinese, Hong Kong, Korean, and Japanese stuff all the time. 32 freaking episodes? That only cover the first book? And the story doesn’t really get going until the second book? I ain’t got the time, man!

Does anyone know if Netflix greenlighted (greenlit?) the entire trilogy to be done in 3 seasons? I worry either a) it gets canceled after one season, or b) they milk it out for 4 or 5 or 6.

ETA - worst case scenario: a tight first season is a hit, suits demand the milking, second season drags through half the second book, show gets cancelled

1 Like

Bless you. Where can I find?

1 Like

https://disembiggened.com/
There, I think.

2 Likes

Thank you, and now I know about the Raising Cain re-cut! :exploding_head:

2 Likes

It is so beautifully filmed.
I bet you couldn’t look away.

1 Like

Oh, ahem heavens no! It is a visual ahem feast.

1 Like

Why keep performing Shakespeare? Why adapt anything more than once? There’s value in experiencing the same stories in different ways.

I liked the books well enough. They’re hardly my favorite SF, but they do tackle some really interesting subjects that could be really fun to experience in a different format.

Of course, I also don’t worry too much whether any individual adaptation of one story originally presented some other way lives up to its source material. I try to just take it on its merits. I find a lot of viewers, especially Americans like myself, think that new adaptations of existing stories need to be definitive in some way or the whole thing is a big waste of time. But as an artist, I just reject the idea that time spent making art is wasted. Even if this show doesn’t entertain me, I hope it entertains someone.

As long as the whole point isn’t to promote harmful ideas that real ass people run with to hurt other real ass people, it’s fine.

Edit: I should have read more comments before responding. :sweat_smile: This is just one of my pet issues, personally, that I feel invested in and so I just leapt into action.

7 Likes

Executives think that a market is spoilt or saturated. One entity owns the rights. A bad film proves that the rights aren’t worth paying for. A mediocre movie proves that the rights are worth sitting on. Either way, the better film can’t get made.

1 Like

And yet good things get made, too. The book is still there, regardless.

3 Likes

Same here. I think Foundation’s pretty good.

3 Likes

I chuckled though in the trailer when he said “Another Countdown!”

2 Likes

i’m here to say i love them both.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.