Podfasters: people who listen to podcasts at speeds up to 300% of normal

I wish I could listen to No Agenda at 3x, I might be able to get to the end of one episode before the next goes up.

I think this works for purely informational podcasts. I’ve tried it a few times, and while it does get you to the end faster, it gives you less time to ponder what was just said. For comedy podcasts, it’s even worse. Comedy relies on timing.

3 Likes

Dude, did you not get the memo that the wife is always right? I solved this regarding her critique of my driving by making her drive whenever we’re going together. See? That’s compromise.

4 Likes

Actually, I am a horrible passenger. I really do not like riding in others cars. And (do not repeat this)…I only was in one accident ever, hit black ice…she’s had…well, a few fender benders shall we say.

3 Likes

Everything is relative. She’s a worse passenger than she is a driver, and I’m a better passenger than she is. Besides, there’s nothing quite like the moral High Ground of calmly saying “you would have totally screamed at me if I did that”.

2 Likes

ooh, good idea. Maybe there’s also a way to separate and discard the music track? I hate background and segue music in podcasts.

I’m at 1.4x w/ silence trim. (Thanks, PocketCast podplayer)

I do Kindle text to speech at 4x though. :slight_smile:

I can’t stand silence trim… robs many speakers of nuace and character. That’s fine if you’re listening to information or news, but for fiction podcasts or interviews or even comedy… can’t help but think that a ton gets lost when you remove the pauses.

1 Like

Oh I love my audiobooks for driving, walking, or cooking.
But haven’t you ever wished you could speed it up a little? I am a very fast reader, and the fact that the book that took me an hour and a half to read took six or eight hours to be read to me makes me gnash my teeth. Especially if it’s an informational book (and this would go for podcasts, too).
I’d never speed up Stephen Briggs reading Terry Pratchett, or Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter, no matter how annoyingly long it takes to listen.

2 Likes

Kindle audiobooks (i.e. audible) can be sped up quite a bit. I usually do it at 1.5x.

Before this article, I wasn’t consciously aware this could be done. Looking at the controls of my audio players, I see they all can be turned up to 1.5 speed. Huh.
This is something I will be trying soon then. Thanks.

Oh very yes! But that’s why I listen to them on one of these

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-Video-Player-Black/dp/B0015L0T68

using this

https://www.rockbox.org/

1 Like

I don’t blame her. You should have said fewer podcasts.

8 Likes

Another vote for BeyondPod here, though I can’t imagine listening at a faster speed. That’s just . . . icky. My version of BeyondPod says that playback speed support is in Beta, but it works fine on my S7. I also allows one to _slow down_playback a bit, which I am much more likely to do, to take the manic edge off of certain physics/astronomy lecturers I listen to.

edit(s): spellings. I are tired.

quark-but-why

3 Likes

Nope. While I’ve dealt with people who I wish I never began a conversation with, I think I am patient enough to take the time to have a complete discussion.

1 Like

I listen to most audiobooks at 1.5, most YouTube videos at 2x, and podcasts at 2x.
I found it pretty easy to get used to listening at the faster pace.
I often wish that a more graduated speed was available - ITPRO.TV can be accelerated or decelerated at 10% increments, and it is easy to get spoiled.

Just. Post. The damn. Transcript.

4 Likes

I’m on a pod fast. I don’t think I’ve ever listened to one.

You obviously have never spoken to my mother.