Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 1)

(I hasten to add, the toy was not placed on him.)

16 Likes

Awwwwww! :heart_eyes: Thatā€™s what we need around here. Weā€™ve been without a dog since last summer (had to put my boyfriendā€™s old guy to sleep :cry:), and I donā€™t know how much longer my boyfriend is going to last. Miss Katyā€™s going to be peeved no matter what (she is very anti-dog), but if we find a small dog that doesnā€™t try to get in her face all the time she can hopefully deal with it.

8 Likes

On the balance, thatā€™s not going to be a Jack Russellā€¦

6 Likes

Yes! Those Ears!!!
Major cutie! Yay for pound puppies.

12 Likes

Weā€™ve been dogless for 2 1/2 years now. We decided this year after we reached the point of straightening and cleaning every room in the house and getting rid of all the junk weā€™d get a dog, which took a while, but we finished cleaning yesterday. Hopefully Sherlockā€™s not really a secret spazz. He was a stray so heā€™s probably a bolterā€¦

Our last dog was an Australian Cattle Dog mutt. If he got outside would whine and beg to get back in ASAP since he didnā€™t want to be away from his humans. But he was a herder so he was always tripping us.

12 Likes

Yeeeeeeaahhhhh noā€“way too energetic! We need something on the small side that will leave the kitteh alone when she says so (which will be all the time), and that doesnā€™t need to be walked for miles and miles every day. Old dog was a basset mix, which was perfectā€“not the smallest dog, but pretty lazy :smiley:

We dogsat a pair of Pomeranians who were surprisingly low key (I have met some hyper ones); they need a lot of brushing, but man are they cute.

Here they are trying to figure out wtf is a mirror:

12 Likes

My sister has a pom, total spazz, but really fun to visit. Heā€™s hilarious, pretty much the cutest dog ever, and really fun, but tiring, and yeah, lots of brushing.

5 Likes

Might as well throw this one in tooā€“the black and white dog is the late Pepe (Pep for short). (PomPoms are still tripping on the mirror)

10 Likes

oh my god what a cutie!!!

4 Likes

Whoā€™s a happy doggie? :relaxed:

22 Likes

I thought he looked familiar and sorted it out - heā€™s basically the RCA dog:

5 Likes

You mean the HMV dog, Nipper - HMV stands for His Masterā€™s Voice.

The wiki page on that brand is quite the tale of corporate genealogy; RCA is obviously related, and even JVC.

7 Likes

Nipper was with HMV before RCA, which predates HMV by 20 years. However, RCA Victor bought the rights to Nipper in 1929, which is why Nipper is referred to the RCA dog. So you and @nemomen are both correct! :relaxed:

9 Likes

Did you know JVC stands for Japanese Victor Company? That wiki article is rather interesting. I didnā€™t look it up just now; I remember some of the details from reading it a year or two ago.

4 Likes

Ages ago when I first learned that, I wanted to write a science fiction using the name. Then I learned that Stanislaw Lem beat me to it, of course.

Iā€™m also of the opinion that Nipper was the inspiration for the album art on Rushā€™s 2003 compilation album The Spirit of Radioā€¦

7 Likes

Cute little beast :slight_smile: Jack russell and chihuahua?

I didnā€™t really grasp exactly what having a herding breed would be like before we got one ~3 years ago. I have now learned two things:

1. They donā€™t play alone.
  2. There is no such thing as too much activity.

Two or more long walks and a couple of short ones per day, constant low-level training (sit at intersections, heel when walking, sit and wait for permission to eat, work for around 1/3 of all of your food a few kibbles at a time, new tricks and games as I can invent themā€¦), play breaks for indoor fetch or hide-and-seek during the workday, and she still finds time to lay around with an expression that very clearly says Iā€™m boredā€¦is this all weā€™re going to do today?

(ETA: and a degree of hip dysplasia means that lots of running canā€™t be an every day activity.)

Sheā€™ll also arbitrarily include people we donā€™t know into the herd. If we, for example, share an elevator with a couple of people who then go their own way, sheā€™ll sometimes want to go and round them upā€¦

17 Likes

It seems to help to share with people who know what it feels like to have to say goodbye, so here goes. This is Sagan. He was funny and incredibly sweet, a sixty-pound lapdog, and, like Carl whom he was named after, smart, but in an odd, eccentric way.

And gone too soon.

25 Likes

My Welsh grandmother wound up with an old retired sheepdog from the family farm. She took the dog down to the local park, let it off the leash, and off it went like a shot over the nearest hill.

When she got to the top of the hill she could see a small collection of ladies at the other side shaking their umbrellas at the dog as it circled around its new flock: three terrified white poodles.

Another friendā€™s sheepdog here couldnā€™t be in the room when (American) football was on. Sheā€™d sit contentedly watching while the teams organized themselves at the line of scrimmage, but when they all started running in different directions sheā€™d go nuts.

13 Likes

My wife has a wonderful way of putting it: ā€œGive them something to do or theyā€™ll find something to do.ā€

10 Likes

Iā€™m now thinking heā€™s a Parson Russel/Chihuahua mix, though there are domestic debates over whether heā€™s perhaps a Rat Terrier or some other terrier, and whether heā€™s mixed with a Chihuahua or some other dog. Since he was picked up, thereā€™s no definitive answer, which makes it more fun to argue over.

Cowboy had incredible energy. There were paths worn in the grass from his constant running. If we left him alone in the back for a few minutes heā€™d dig under the fence (and nothing could stop him digging) then come to the front door to scratch at it to ask to be let back in.

His favorite activity, though, was waiting until I stood up, then herding me by charging in front of my shins then stopping longwise to persuade me to rejoin the rest of the herd.

7 Likes