Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 1)

We had a cat like that once, white with different colored eyes, blue and yellow. Always wondered if he was deaf in one ear.

3 Likes

Interesting. I know a man with different colored eyes who is deaf in one ear. :man_shrugging:t2: I wonder if there is a connection?

Major Tom came around this morning and I gave him some food, but he didn’t come inside.

6 Likes

So, sounds highly likely.

“In white cats with mixed-coloured eyes (odd-eyed cats), it has been found that deafness is more likely to affect the ear on the blue-eyed side.”

10 Likes

Am an animal lover & Humane Soc. volunteer (3 states over 3 decades)… And will be asking the vet about this tomorrow… Never heard of it?

2 Likes

@Kasey_Greene @Ratel
another data point: when I had a Boxer, the things I read about the breed said that all-white Boxers were also always or maybe just usually deaf.

however, as I said earlier, my German Shepherd’s father was all-white and he was certainly not deaf; presumably you can also attest your dog in the pic was no doubt hearing-enabled.

so, obviously something about a white coat in vertebrate mammals correlates to deafness, but why only sometimes?

4 Likes

Grrr, . .
Just like the previous post; I can’t wait to see ‘Doc.’ tomorrow ! !

:pensive:

2 Likes

I’ve read somewhere a suggestion that it is linked to melanin production and the way melanin is used by the nervous system to support the senses.

2 Likes

I had no idea. I thought melanin was merely a humble pigment. Never knew it was used in the nervous system.

pretty neat

5 Likes

Busy bee

13 Likes

Apologies for the focus, but I woke up to see a snail flying across the sky crawling up the outside of the window and this is the best I could do with low light and an ipad.

It was crawling skyward really fast, for a snail. Plus this is a 2nd floor window. Why was it trying to get to the roof?

21 Likes

I for one welcome our new giant flying snail overlords.

11 Likes

24 Likes

That is fucking beautiful!

10 Likes

it’s so perfect.
btw @wisconsinplatt: fuckin’ saved.

7 Likes

Boys being boys.
20 Likes

Priceless :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve read about the hobo code, where there is a mark for “this house will give you food”. Apparently, there is a kitty code, where my house is marked as “this person will give food to any kitty who will meow and let her pet their head.” I’ve seen this guy, but he’s never come close before.

I give names to cats, even if I’m only meeting them once, so this guy’s Marmalade. He’s neutered but his ear is notched, so he’s probably a stray. And, he did, indeed, let me pet his head.

20 Likes

I hope this isn’t offensive. It looks so much like her.

15 Likes

Naptime: Nori

Naptime…

…Smaug

17 Likes

Bellyrubznowplz…

…thxzzzzzzzzzz

14 Likes