Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 1)

Infinite Floof

8 Likes

Blearg.

Update:

The local Fox News affiliate in Phoenix said the cancellations mostly affected regional flights on the smaller Bombardier CRJ airliners, which have a maximum operating temperature of about 118F (48C).

It might be my imagination, but I feel like birds have been flying much lower (i.e. right at car height) as the thermometer ticks up. Today 90° at 7am, but also now the humidity is rising.

7 Likes

Meet my new furbabies!

The Humane Society of San Diego had a special this weekend, where a benefactor pledged to waive adoption fees for the first 100 adult cats. Spay/neuter, vaccinations, and microchipping all free! I just happened to walk in out of pure coincidence.
I saw a few other cats that were very nice, but I was determined to find a “love match”, and not just any ol’ cat.

This is Tasha. She’s 10 years old, and a staff favorite. Our initial meeting turned into a 10 minute rubdown with lots of purring. I’m pretty sure my eyes were watering because I got some fur in them. Yes, that was what it was. :kissing_cat:
She’s already commandeered my office chair, and knocked a few items off the kitchen counter. I think I’m going to have to build a cat tree or some perches for her.

This is Ruby. She’s one year old, and also popular among staff. She’d had an incident, and is missing about 2/3 of her tail. She’s also a sweetheart, but still a bit skittish and very submissive. She aproaches me very low to the ground, but cranes her neck to see me, and sidles up next to me to worm her way across my lap. I just make sure not to make sudden moves, and she purrs loud enough to hear across the room.

15 Likes

Your tabby girls are wonderful. I imagine Ruby will grow to trust you and become less skittish; yesterday must have been kind of a rough one for them (and you!). Tasha doesn’t look like she’s the type to take any guff from anyone, and is taking up her place as Empress of the Universe, starting with your chair. Good for her.

I wish you all plenty of cuddles and purrs.

10 Likes

Well done! Getting two adults (especially girls I’ve heard) to get along can be a challenge so good luck with that.

7 Likes

Congrats on getting adopted by kitties!

Cat tax (might have already posted this in the thread, but what the hell)

16 Likes

Well, I’m following Jackson Galaxy’s advice and keeping them separated for now, but introducing items with their scent to each other’s space. Also feeding in front of a closed door so they can hear and smell each other. I’ll probably try a baby gate in a couple of weeks.

5 Likes

11 Likes

Hehe, good luck! We tried to do that with the boys (the humane society wanted us to keep them apart for two weeks or something, for bugs) but they both spent all their time at the barrier trying to get at one another, and our house was quite small, and we gave in quickly. But they were kittens; you should probably try to follow his advice more closely.

4 Likes

10:20am

More tortoise soaking!

More update:

Not even mid-afternoon yet.

10 Likes

That’s… well, that’s crazy.

3 Likes

How long do they expect the heatwave to last? any ideas?

3 Likes

It should taper off over the week. This was the peak:

Can’t wait for the monsoon, although then we can’t use the swamp cooler.

That 84° indoors was with the AC (swamp cooler only buys us about 30 degrees) trying to get us to 76.

By “taper off” I mean:

And add about 4 degrees to these numbers for our neighborhood.

5 Likes

Nori in kitty jail:

8 Likes

Hey! Tuesday, it’ll be 105 with a CHANCE OF RAIN!

This is crazy though! Stay cool and keep that tortoise-kins cool in the meantime!

4 Likes

Well, it’s only 119° today, so that’s better.

4 Likes

I need to put Tasha in there, too. She’s been bad.

8 Likes

Ruby loves her kitty pod!

12 Likes

We have a plastic food bin intended for dogs that the cat food is stored in because it doesn’t matter how good or bad kitteh normally is if there’s a paper bag of food laying about.

4 Likes

Yes, I’m simply trying to wait for the best day to go bin hunting north of the border. Some things down here like textiles made in Mexico or Chinese cheap goods, are pretty inexpensive. Many things, like electronics or for some odd reason - home goods, have a heavy import tax attached.

Edit: This also reminds me of my mom’s cat, Scout, who’s a bag-shredder and bread-eater.

ETA: Turns out Folger’s plastic ground coffee tubs are the exact volume of a bag of Purina Pro Plan. No need to buy a new tub!

4 Likes