Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 1)

Pippin, aka Mister Fwuff

Cleo and Jarvis aka Fwiff and Fou Pantalon

9 Likes

What?! or Cat Flag

(I think he needs a glitter rainbow coming out of his butt, a la Nyan Cat.)

9 Likes

Niko and Sunflowers

7 Likes

10 Likes

Donā€™t eat the sunflower, Niko!

4 Likes

Everyone else does. The goldfinches in particular eat huge holes in the leaves for some reason.

2 Likes

This is Pepe.
His owner sometimes takes him for a stroll (Pepe sitting pirate-style on his shoulder, no less) which is why I met him at a local cafƩ a couple of weeks ago.
Pepe is 39 years old and a rescue animal. He lives with seven other rescue parrots. The couple who take care of them have an understanding with the local animal shelter; they take over when birds from deceased owners end up at the shelter.
They were able to check Pepeā€™s ID ring and establish his age and that he wasnā€™t captured in the wild.

17 Likes

Is everyone else seeing that a bunch of the images in my previous posts are broken/missing?

2 Likes

Yes. Iā€™ve been seeing a lot of missing images all over the BBS for the past few days.

@FGD135, youā€™ve reminded me that I came across this yesterday -

It took a while to understand just what I was looking at. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

If I remember correctly there were some messages on the BBS about them ā€œimprovingā€ file storage or something. Wonder if weā€™re casualties of that.

4 Likes

You do remember correctly, or else we were both hallucinating.

4 Likes

Iā€™d like to think Iā€™m the sort of person who shares, but I donā€™t remember very clearly.

4 Likes

Yes, things are apparently still broken on the back end. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

Yeah, some seem broken to meā€¦I depend on your kitty photos to keep me sane during these trying times!

8 Likes

@codinghorror Help!

Images are uploaded, seem to hang around for a day or two, then vanish, see above.

:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Thanks @schleifer! It seems to be some and not others. I know a lot of the files I upload are pretty big, in fact in past iterations too big, could that be a factor?

3 Likes

Update on JingleCat and the shaving option. Alas, there will be no shaving. A minor source of comedy is withdrawn.

She does like the Love Glove (and omg, that is the worst pet product nameā€¦). Thank you for the suggestion, @Ratel and @Wayward. But I now have a bit more information on her, thanks to the sharp-eyed groomer and some image searches.

Jingle will continue to get bigger. For a couple more YEARS. Sheā€™s probably not Maine Coon nor Norwegian Forest Cat. Sheā€™s most likely an unpapered Turkish (Kurdish) Van. Top pic is a breed standard (CC attribution, Inkeri Siltala, from Flickr), bottom is Jingle laying claim to my current fabric. They could be from the same litter. (Yes, Iā€™m gonna sub her DNA, and Ninjaā€™s. We need more cat DNA in the databases.)

And thatā€™s great: Vans are dry alpine cats, a landrace breed (i.e. not human manipulated) who self-domesticated and bred to live at 5K feet, in a semi-arid climate, with freeze-your-butt winters and sweat-off-your-body-weight summers. Few health problems, generally long-lived. Sheā€™s gonna be fine in the Rocky Mountain foothills as long as I keep her away from coyotes. Vans also like water. (Yup. We have fountains for the babies for a reason.) And theyā€™re protective of their humans. (Oh, yeah. She growls at anyone who isnā€™t us. Poor letter carrier & UPS lady.) But sheā€™s not done growing at all. Girl Vans top out around 12-14 pounds, at around 3-4 years old; boy Vans push 20 pounds. I should expect her to be around 45 inches nose to tail when sheā€™s finally done. Totally unexpected.

Which, of course, leads to questions about how six month old Jingle ended up in an over-crowded Roswell NM shelter. (She got swapped for adoption to Denver Metro.) Vans are not common cats, but one of the three US breeders is between Albuquerque and Roswell. Jingle has a dark spot on her nose and the black mark on her hip, which exclude her from show conformation. That may be the explanation, and if so, then Iā€™m delighted I have her, and furious that someone made that judgement. Or maybe Jingleā€™s Mom got some boom-chicka-wow-wow without proper authorization, or sheā€™s a local sale subsequent generation.

But it turns out that shaving her isnā€™t a good idea. She doesnā€™t have an undercoat, and her coat evolved specifically to manage her body temp. I wonā€™t make her shiver (except when I bathe her.)

11 Likes

Our local shelter seems to have a steady stream of Siamese kittens that donā€™t quite meet breed standard. This is how we came across our Derpasaurus (this is his nickname) and tangentially how we found The Tailless Wonder (also a nickname). Breeders suck, and they donā€™t have the slightest understanding how awesome their cast-offs can be as pets.

8 Likes

A Great egret, A. a. egretta , in Rio de Janeiro.

I really like the way these beautiful birds can stand sill for long periods just waiting for the right time to catch a fish.

I took this picture two years ago when I was leaving the building where I work. This egret was trying to catch a fish in the pond of the University.

14 Likes

nice shot!

7 Likes