Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 1)

Around my house (southeastern US), especially in the spring and early summer, we have a mockingbird that start its singing in the wee hours of the morning. It is loud, and very creative in its songs. I enjoy it, even though showtime is typically around 3AM; my husband does not.

Earlier this summer I was in northern Germany, and there it was cuckoos. The one hanging around where we were staying would forget its lines, going from a sweet, rhythmic “cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo” to “cuckoo…cuuuuuck cuuuuuuck cuuuuuck… (long pause)…cuckoo, cuckoo”. Right when I’d finally be drifting off to sleep in the 11PM twilight. Argh!

10 Likes

I’m sorry for your sleepless nights. I know what it’s like to spend a sleepless night, too.

It reminded me of the origin of Woody Woodpecker, that cartoon character:

8 Likes

I put a hummingbird feeder outside my window. I think I have never seen more than one in my entire life before I had to stay to care for mom in Maine. After a few weeks three distinct birds began to visit several times an hour. This video is of one of them. Color me wicked happy!

I think they are a family of Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds, and I think this one is skittish as the feeder environment changed because I took the window screen off to get a better video. :slight_smile:

ETA, if you crank the audio you can hear the wings hum. :bird:

14 Likes

Nice! We get two, maybe three species here (in mid-town Tucson), but we could be trying harder…

http://tucsonaudubon.org/go-birding/tucson-audubons-paton-center-for-hummingbirds/

5 Likes

I usually see the same green hummingbirg around the feeders. But I was surprised to see a black one flying past midnight in the middle of the city.

2 Likes

Other Cat + box = FUN + puzzled dog

15 Likes

I feel a pang when I see Other Cat. I miss my Beast. They have similar markings.

:slight_smile:

12 Likes

You know it’s hot when the cat drinks water like this…

My apartment has sun exposure on three sides. I’m looking around to see if I can find a better apartment that’s shielded from the sun.

13 Likes
9 Likes

Such a handsome kitteh! Yes, very similar to my fluffball.

Our previous Maine Coon type cat. Crappy photo so his tabby markings aren’t very visible, from 2006, when he was an old man, a few months before kidney failure got him. Compared to Other Cat, who is a dainty little thing beneath all the fluff, he was a big boy, though still small by Maine Coon standards.

11 Likes

Mango (the fat tabby) and Yoda (the b/w tuxedo) in pre-wrestling aggressive grooming mode

12 Likes

Cães de guarda. Some guard dogs I found on the streets of Rio.

IMG_6973

Oh, If you have the opportunity, go watch Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs. I watched this afternoon and enjoyed it very much.

At first, it’s a stop motion movie about Japanese dogs, but you can detect some parallels with our own times.

Oppression, corruption, brainwashing and demonization of social groups. It’s all there along with people and dogs that fight for what they believe.

12 Likes

14 Likes

Every morning a flock of periquitões-maracanã (Psittacara leucophthalmus) visit the carambola tree in the backyard of my mother’s house. These birds despise the ripe fruits and prefer those that are green.

14 Likes

The Savagery

Aftermath

16 Likes

Sprawl

11 Likes

Fou Pantalon seems to have a thing for camouflage…

12 Likes

The elder cat was happy to be outside yesterday.

14 Likes

Helping in the garden

15 Likes

14 Likes