Publishers call Brave's privacy-centric browser "illegal"; Brave responds

I mean, UI gripes are basically the entire reason Pale Moon exists.

http://www.palemoon.org/

1 Like

for me, itā€™s not so much about his view of the world.

itā€™s knowing my money ā€“ in this case ā€“ could go straight to lobbying against lgbt rights. ( itā€™s similar to why ā€“ on a completely different front ā€“ back when i owned a car, i didnā€™t use aaa: because they have a history of lobbying against public transit. )

i agree whole-heartedly. thereā€™s lots of folks who use money i have given them to lobby against the rights and issues i hold dear. thatā€™s part of why i believe in campaign finance and political lobbying reform. money in politics needs to be limited, and transparent.

Well, money that he receives as his salary, perhaps. It isnā€™t like his company will be doing lobbying like that.

I agree. I will point out that transparency laws are how we found out he donated Prop 8 money in the first place, since his name had to be listed publicly.

1 Like

The great thing about reading the work of dead philosophers and political theorists is that they may have been assholes, but at least they arenā€™t benefiting from your actions. A good reason, perhaps, for reading the dead ones and ignoring the live ones.

2 Likes

The Windows 8 whatnow?

The whole point of this argument is about whether people should be held accountable in their ā€œprofessionalā€ life for the ā€œpersonalā€ choices theyā€™ve made.

You clearly donā€™t care about the folks who are attempting to make it a personal issue about me being an SJW (and even quote one!), so itā€™s becoming increasingly clear why youā€™re picking on me in particular, and very relevant if you think homosexuality is unnatural or immoral.

I may be new to commenting (though not to BoingBoing), but I can spot a bully anywhere.

If someone is a bigot, then the public has the right not to patronize their establishment. Thatā€™s very different from a criminal remedy applied by the state.

Being shunned (or unable to work, etc) is the price one pays for having horrible political opinions. Iā€™m more worried about the very real consequences of homophobia on gay folks than I am about bigots who canā€™t work because they got outed as such. Same goes for homophobic politicians, etc.

It has everything to do with Braveā€™s browser and the legal threats against it. In his last professional role as an executive, Eich was fired. Itā€™s totally reasonable to mention that, and would be bizarre not to mention why. The CEO has a track record of highly-unethical behavior. It would be irresponsible for a reporter not to mention the history of Gurbaksh Chahal, Dominique Strauss-Kahn, Guido Barilla, etc. if they launched a new venture. Why not Eich?

4 Likes

Iā€™d suggest you not put words in my mouth (or thoughts in my head, as it were). I didnā€™t call you anything and it isnā€™t my job to argue to other people for you.

You really donā€™t know me, my thinking on things (since you havenā€™t actually looked at my history here or otherwise) or even my family. Letā€™s be clear, I was raised by a single queer mom. My daughter is queer. Hell, my spouse identifies as queer, as have most of my partners. Iā€™m surrounded by queer friends and family so, please, get off your high horse about telling me what I think of queer folks. You really donā€™t know.

There you made it all personal. I assume youā€™re happy to get an emotional response.

Iā€™m not ā€œpickingā€ on you at all. Iā€™m having a civil discussion in an online forum. I understand that this is a rare experience in many places and while folks donā€™t always manage it here, I think people have done pretty well by it in this thread up until now.

Uh huh. Well, I guess Iā€™m done here then with any discussion with you. Ta!

Oh, I canā€™t let this one remark go though. He wasnā€™t fired. I know this categorically as I worked at his company (and have for almost a decade) and know the board, the other executives, etc. He chose to leave. He really did. It was clear he wasnā€™t going to continue as CEO (clear to him even) but he had other things he could have stayed and done. He chose to leave for the good of the project and the company (and, I suspect, because he was tired of the fight and the ongoing PR and Press cycle).

Please donā€™t speak of things which you really donā€™t know anything about.

Well, except he wasnā€™t firedā€¦so it would be a lie to ā€œmentionā€ that.

4 Likes

That is exactly what happened to a lot of entertainment industry workers in the '40s and '50s. ā€œHorribleā€ is in the eye of the beholder.

3 Likes

I donā€™t agree with the tactics of Brave. Itā€™s one thing to block ads, itā€™s another to replace them, effectively laying ads on someone elseā€™s content and making money while depriving them of a revenue stream. This seems very similar to ā€œframingā€ which was a practice, back in the early days of the commercialized internet, where websites would ā€œdeep linkā€ to articles/content on other sites, and effectively create a browser within a browser for that content, keeping their own ads on top. That was found to be a copyright violation IIRC, and rightly so. Itā€™s just not the right thing to do.

1 Like

And, ā€œthe customer is always right.ā€

So, if we have ā€œfree speechā€ it includes the right to talk about businesses that weā€™d rather not patronize.

Eich earned his reputation. I appreciate the intimate perspective that enso presents as having known and worked with Eich as a person, and that softens my heart. But, again, Eich has earned a reputation as an enemy of freedom to love. That doesnā€™t wash off easily.

1 Like

Digg tried it in 2009

Thatā€™s just not true.

The House Un-American Activities Committee (the State) colluded with industry leaders to get people blacklisted for their political beliefs, not their sexual behavior (though there was obviously rampant homophobia in the industry). But that couldnā€™t be further from a consumer boycott.

If you think homosexuality and bigotry are equivalent, then thereā€™s nothing I can say to convince you that bigotry is wrong.

4 Likes

I most uselessely lament the bygone times when the internet was largely below the radar of corporate shitbags, and that goes out to both parties in this argument.

5 Likes

Mod note: Stay on topic and stop personal attacks.

6 Likes

if i have to see adverts. i want them to be relevant !
commercial tracking does not bother me.
if i donā€™t buy i will not be waterboarded or worse !
the spooks that is quite a different matter.
the two are confabulated to minimise the threat
to freedom ! why should you worry when shops have your information
already ? cause it is NOT the same !

Well, as someone who is writing history today, thatā€™s generally not an option to only read the dead ones! :wink:

2 Likes

I was exaggerating for effect. So many academics seem less than satisfactory in their attitude to other human beings, especially women (Russell, A J Ayer, to mention the first two that spring to mind) that it becomes difficulty to work out where censorship based on social desirability should start. At one end you have the former Soviet Union, using perceived-by-the-rƩgime social desirability, at the other you get the US. Is there a way of discriminating which serves social ends?

1 Like

I got ya.

I think in general, regarding academics, most would argue they are for academic freedom and against censorship - but there are cases where some have used the structure of the academy to silence voices they donā€™t like. Iā€™m sure a fair amount of leftist scholars in the United States were silenced in various ways (denial of tenure, not finding a job where research and writing were a key part of their work, as opposed to teaching, etc). Even today, there are some people who donā€™t manage to find a place to do their work, free from administrative or colleagial animosity. Obvious, it pales in comparison to the Soviet Union, where scholars could disappear on a whim, with the majority of that happening under Stalin - but itā€™s not insignificant here in the US, having certain voices, not silenced, maybe, but certainly dismissed and belittled (or heard and mocked). Itā€™s the Orwell vs. Huxley conundrum, no?

But again - my point to @enso was not to say we should silence this guy, but rather knowing his role in Prop 8 allows people who DO NOT want to give to someone who actively worked against their CIVIL RIGHTS is not in any meaningful way, censorship. If I donā€™t buy or use his product because I donā€™t like it, Iā€™m not censoring him either. Iā€™m just choosing to not give him my money/time. As a consumer I have ever right to make that choice. He has no right to my money or time. He needs to earn it and if him being homophobic means I donā€™t want to give him my money/time, thatā€™s my right to decide. It isnā€™t censorship. That would be the government not allowing him to speak, arresting him for being homophobic, or put him to death for being homophobic. I am not a government. if you think me thinking the guy is homophobic is censorship, then I donā€™t know what else to say here. I would also not like to give my money or time to racists or sexists, and thatā€™s not censorship either.

6 Likes

Is there any difference between this guy and his company, composed the of many people?

Sure. My point was never that itā€™s the same - but others may not agree. My point was that knowing about his political activities allows people to make choices based on their ethics and morals. If someone decides that doing business with a buy who they find homophobic, thatā€™s their choice. But if people donā€™t know his background, they donā€™t get to make that choice.

2 Likes