Queen dead at 96

Man, I miss Bourdain…

30 Likes

Or him living anywhere near as long.

15 Likes

I wonder how the Conservative Party feels, now that Boris Johnson and Liz Truss may be the first government leaders responsible for a British monarch’s death since Oliver Cromwell.

I’m just saying that the other day would be very hard for any 96 year old.

31 Likes

Now time to put pressure on the institution to disband itself and cease with the expensive theatrics.

She lived a life better and longer than most of us, and managed to cause not too much harm.

9 Likes

As a Canadian who wants the monarchy to go away, my thoughts:

21 Likes

I was 12 during her coronation and obsessed with it, even though a Yank. They shot reels of 16mm movie film during the ceremonies and flew each one across the Atlantic after it was shot, developing it in flight. Upon arrival in NYC the reels were quickly put on the air, providing a delayed but nearly continuous telecast. There was even a receiver and antenna set up at the RCA facilities on the east end of Long Island, in the remote chance of TV propagation across the Atlantic.

16 Likes

Also:

14 Likes

I have worse songs (for the monarchy) than that, but I am wary of playing them right now. The Flag Shaggers will take offence and I don’t want an unexpected visit by the constabulary.

19 Likes

52jw1y

8 Likes

Same. I would never post something in bad taste…

4 Likes

If I can’t say something nice about hereditary power; I’ll note that she fought Nazis & fixed trucks.

Sad that she had to live to see Nazis in power in her land.

66 Likes

They’ve given over my local NPR station to the BBC for coverage… :expressionless:

15 Likes

I have put my Manic Street Preachers and McCarthy collections away for now, just in case they Repeat anything bad about Charles Windsor.

:wink:

15 Likes

And she wouldn’t give in to the pressure to let her Nazi uncle back into the fray later in life.

I always thought it was cool how she’d drive herself around even after she became Queen. She definitely wasn’t a delicate flower.

And many other lands as well. Sad for us all.

41 Likes

Oh, drat. Now I have to decide whether to finish watching The Crown or not.

6 Likes

So, we can agree, Liz Truss killed her?

30 Likes

The Saxe-Coburg-Gotha boy?

6 Likes

Boing Boing has a great tradition of calling it like it was, Speaker of the Dead - style, and I would expect no less here. I was personally fond of QE due in large part to how I was taught about her and the way the Monarchy is generally liked in Canada, even as I realized the role they played in the lives of my aboriginal ancestry. As I grew older I also grew keenly more aware of just how far and wide colonialism had affected the world, but also the role QE specifically played in furthering democracy where she could as well.

Like so very many things, it’s complicated, but that doesn’t change the fact that IMHO the good should be celebrated and the bad called-out here, because in my eyes that’s very much what Boing Boing has always tried to do.

57 Likes

Kissinger is alive!?
::checks::
Huh.

6 Likes

Charles’ wikipedia page has been updated. Looks like it has been locked for editing.

10 Likes