? ❓ ⚛ Questions. Questions? QUESTIONS!? ⚛ ❓?

Can I urge you to give it a shot anyway and turn down the options or something? I’ve got a three year old graphics card and didn’t have any hiccups.

2 Likes

A graphics card? Isn’t the lack of that the issue?

Maybe I could just watch a Let’s Play?

3 Likes

Can’t you get up to speed with an investment of $20 then and make everything on your computer run better? Wait, are you a laptopper?

2 Likes

What if I was?

3 Likes

Do people still use desktops outside of the corporate environment?

Isn’t my office desktop there a PITA, since I can’t take it to meetings for notes, etc.?

Isn’t that THE WORST?!?!??

1 Like

Doesn’t everyone just use a cute aluminum ATX case and mod it so it looks like a NASA spacecraft with analog dials?

You don’t have a pad of paper? Oh, wait, does everyone else code here for a living? Isn’t that the worst?

4 Likes

Then you’d have to just get used to playing Minesweeper and Solitaire?

2 Likes

What about Nethack?

4 Likes

Isn’t that what your phone is used for? Don’t you know that some of us are busy running space operations for Kerbals at home instead?

3 Likes

Have you even TRIED to play Nethack on a phone? Or do you just try it every year or so, in the hopes that a bazillion modifier-key keyboard-based operations will have automagically become feasible to enter without using up the entire screen-space, and end up weeping softly into a bowl of cheesey-popcorn while watching Netflix instead?

2 Likes

Unless it’s Zork is it really worth my trouble?

3 Likes

What about LARN?

Or - gasp! - Telengard?

1 Like

Is it still nethack if you’re using tiles an such to make it pretty?

Does the IOS version still work a lot better on the iPad then the iPhone?

Or are iPhone screens now enough bigly?

3 Likes

Why won’t The Boy fall asleep? It’s seriously ten o’clock and he’s just not going for it, can I club him over the head?

Also, “o’clock,” is that Irish?

4 Likes

Any thoughts about this, @toyg?

2 Likes

You probably don’t want to know how many times I wonder if I would get into real trouble by clubbing on the head?

2 Likes

I’m totally not surprised. M5S is fundamentally a populist movement that knows how to exploit the internet better than most of their adversaries - because it was born there. One such exploit is to spread disinformation “and let the bastards deny it”; unlike on old media, this behaviour cannot effectively be policed (and tbh, even on newspapers it’s usually very hard to fight - it just happens less out of common courtesy, as journos and politicos belong to the same social classes). In a way, the web today is like newborn mass-media in the first half of the last century: not everyone knows how to use it and abuse it. The few who understand their mechanisms, wield tremendous power.

M5S is also notoriously heterogeneous from a political standpoint, their only fundamental policy being a demand for less corruption in public life. Because of their anti-establishment bent, they want to believe what Putin is selling - not unlike your garden-variety internet tinfoil hattery - hence the credit Kremlin-friendly media gets. Antivaxxers are similarly, and predictably, numerous in the movement. As in the US, some (or all) of the guilt for this state of things must be shouldered by major established media brands, which are relentlessly partisan and prone to uncritically spreading talking points from industry players - both on the right and on the left.

I personally don’t share the doom and gloom for the rise of M5S - with all their problems, they rekindled a political discourse that was stagnant in the post-'92 “Washington + Berlin consensus”. I believe they will melt once they reach power, as it happened to all populist movements “marching to Rome” for the last 25 years - when you get to actually govern, it’s really hard to keep together very different souls. This, as long as constitutional reforms are rejected this week by voters, which would mean they leave in place the democratic straightjacket that was built in 1946 to avoid a repeat of Fascism. If they take that away, then all bets are off.

3 Likes

Could you phrase that in the form of a question or questions?

7 Likes

Ha, sorry.

“What do you expect from internet trolls?”

10 Likes

Did you know it took me seven hours to make a 50 second animated clip? Why is animation so hard?

10 Likes