Rave reviews for $280 Lenovo Chromebook Duet

Ugh. You’re all so helpful. Thank you for your techy insights and suggestions. So appreciated.:star_struck:

2 Likes

The keyboard on my Thinkpad 13" tablet is pretty good, with a fairly deep key throw; not as good as on the other 6 Thinkpads back home, or the Model M keyboards on the desktops, but I have been using it exclusively since January and I’m pretty pleased. A 10" tablet, like the one in this thread, might be more of an issue since the keys will need to be thinner to fit.

For serious work at home, one can always buy a full-sized bluetooth keyboard and use that instead of the removable one.

The flops-in-your-lap problem is still a problem with 2-in-ones, though the kickstand on pretty much all new machines from all the manufacturers are now designed so that you can usually balance the machine reasonably well in the lap.

@Rita_Lynn, if you know where you are heading for school you can usually check their IT department online and see what software they support. You might also wait and see if the school has an arrangement with some manufacturer (like Lenovo) for discounted student prices; this is almost universal in American state universities.

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s a Canadian uni. Back when I did my first degree there was student pricing with Apple, but now the unis in my province don’t do deals with any manufacturer. :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Hm. I’d been meaning to check out what else those Chromebooks could run, besides Android apps.

If I could install a native Lazarus/Free Pascal straight from aptitude, that would be cool.

2 Likes

I second the idea of looking at the used/refurbished market. Last year I picked up an older refurbished tablet for over $200 off the list price. (Since you’re looking for multiple ports. I don’t think my model’s a good fit for you.) Buying used is a great way to get more bang for your buck (and it’s good for the environment too.)

I wound up purchasing through VIPOutlet, and had a good experience, but their reviews aren’t universally positive. Backmarket.com vets their refurbishers, has stellar reviews, and typically offers a 12-month warranty. (I’m probably going to get my next cell phone there.) I’ve also heard good things about Swappa.com.

1 Like

Cooooool. Thanks! :v::pizza:

1 Like

Reminder: most Chromebooks can easily be switched to Linux.

Thank you for the warning.

1 Like

Apple Canada should have a student/educational version of their store still. The discounts are not huge. Scroll down to the bottom of one of their pages and click on anything that says for education. (Not very helpful directions but that was how I accessed it the last time I needed to … let me see if I can dig up a real link.)

As for the Chromebooks you have enough advice in this thread. My own experience buying for my children is that they almost fit with what is needed but not quite. They were worth considering but rejected in favour of alternatives.

1 Like

FWIW: Zoom, GoToMeeting, WebEx - just about anything internet link-enabled works perfectly on Chromebooks (sometimes better than on Windows) because Chrome owns the internet now - for better and worse since it is becoming the new IE. You can even run the Android versions of most Microsoft products or online versions, but I am the first to admit those run nowhere near as well as the native Windows apps.

Ah, somehow I hadn’t realized that from the little bubble I live in. (disclaimer: I work for Google, I don’t work for that part and really hadn’t realized Chrome was that popular, go figure)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.