Repair Day: How "contempt of business model" cheats you out of the use of your property

I take it you are a fan of bookplates being book copyright violations.

I’m not following the analogy.

Stuff printed in a book not written by the author.

A better literary analogy would be if I published a book I had written but packaged it as the latest Dan Brown novel.

How about if I write a book, use the Dan Brown jacket, but tell the buyer, “Hey, the jacket is Dan Brown but the book inside is my own writing, but don’t worry, we both agree that you are buying it for the purpose of having a book with a nice Dan Brown jacket on your shelf to try and impress your friends, and it will certainly do that!”

QuaintInstructiveGannet-size_restricted

And in a world where using fake Dan Brown jackets was legal, but not all publishers adequately acknowledged the deception, would Dan Brown not be justified in seeking some redress against those that sought to deceive? In a large and complex market place, he might not have the resources to be able to specifically address and assess the adequacy of disclosure by every publisher, instead relying on protection under law as the deceptively packaged novels were imported and traded.

Even if Dan were to individually assess each deception and assign OK/Not OK decisions, how about the effect on his brand of his assessments being considered as “nasty” (you know, the ghost author is just a little guy, trying to make her way in a world dominated by Dan Brown), or of people claiming after reading one of the deceptively packaged (and shitty) books that he’d simply lost his spark?

How about the effect on Apple’s brand and bottom line for acting like a-holes? I guarantee you I think less of them and when this iPhone 8+ I’m using right now dies I probably won’t replace it with another iPhone.

And in my example there is no ghost author. The book isn’t even meant to be read. It’s just shelf decoration.

In your world if I tore pages out of my own copy of a Dan Brown book I’d be a counterfeiter. Apple doesn’t even want a person to repair his own device even if he keeps it for himself and never tells anyone that he repaired it. That’s why they glue things shut or use proprietary screws.

1 Like

The effect on their brand is important. A lack of repairability will cost them sales amongst certain types of consumers. Apple knows that. Vote with your wallet. The upside for them is profit from servicing and lower initial manufacturing costs. For me as a consumer, the third-party repairability issue does not weigh heavily in my choices, but I do understand that it is very important for others.

Tearing the pages out of a Dan Brown book does not make you a counterfeiter. Packaging your book as a Dan Brown book and passing it off as such (even for decoration) does. That’s trademark violation. (If the pages are torn out, this is unlikely to work.) In contrast, putting your name to a book that was actually written by Dan Brown is copyright violation.

So there is no law that says you have to be an a##hole, but the Constitution guarantees your right to be an a##hole.

Why yes, yes it does.

The new Nikon “mirrorless” mount is backwards compatible with existing lenses with an adapter. The main thing the adapter does is move the lens away from the sensor to the correct distance. Without flippy mirrors to get in the way, the new cameras can be more compact, and the matching new lenses are built to take advantage of that.

As is the new Canon mount for their legacy EF lenses. I don’t expect the ‘old’ lens performance will match the new short flange distance telecentric lenses for edge to edge sharpness. As far as focus speed and accuracy, it’s going to take a while for factual performance data to filter through all the fanboy hype and naysayers.
At least there are companies still committed to building ‘real’ cameras!

Once again, there’s no evidence Apple had part in that seizure. It was likely all CPB.

There was a monty python routine about this very issue. Let me see if I can find it…

https://scholarship.law.upenn.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article=4945&context=penn_law_review

I’m sure the shame of benefiting from it will make them step forward any second and demand it be returned to him.

Hm. The battery seems to have expanded on my Moto E 2nd gen, popped the display off, making it hard to glue it back. The phone still works, but either I fix it or buy another cheap one. (I try to ignore the voice that whispers “Hey, that display should plug right into the Raspberry Pi display connector. You could make a kick-ass portable Pi!”)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.