Retro Atari console designer quits, says he hasn't been paid

Tee-hee! This was good.

1 Like

Well yes. They are EXPLICITLY not that. If you actually read the fine print they really ARE intended for riskier projects that would have difficulty getting conventional funding. The fact that going commercial firms often use them as a form of pre-order to get to break even without commiting their own money somewhat obscures that fact. You should always regard them as speculative “wouldn’t it be reall cool if…” rather than “I am buying this.”

2 Likes

meh. Probably not worth your time by virtue signaling more than necessary. Even professional investing industry have had scandals where risk was misrepresented, especially around coupon bonds and commodity futures.

Friend of The Archive here- no it isn’t exempt from anything. It isn’t some magical blessed official entity- it’s just a wealthy benefactor and some people who feel we should be saving stuff. If someone complains loudly enough, they take things down. However they also don’t roll over on much. They have a substantial legal team and are fearless about “post now, ask questions later”. You have to complain very loudly indeed to get something removed, and it’s rare. There is tons of retro software preserved on Archive that is technically copyrighted, but the gamble is that the vast majority of these companies don’t care. The vast majority of the time, that is correct- very little has ever been removed after posting.

1 Like

Personally, I don’t want a society where everyone is forced to assume everything is a scam. I want people to feel they can get excited about a product that speaks to them and support it through crowdfunding. Scams are called scams because they have victims. Let’s not blame the backers for being lied to, okay? That’s not how we get to a better world, and discouraging optimism in others is no way to have nice things.

Intriguing. I figured if nothing else, Apple would come after them for the javascript Macintosh emulation unless they had some sort of protection.

Do you know of cases where people did complain loudly?

I agree with your sentiment. Unfortunately, business schools and our society in general reward scam artists. I mean, look who’s in the white house.

1 Like

I only know of one case where something was actually taken down, and it was nobody notable. They actively tell contributors, “submit everything- we have big scary lawyers and we’ll handle it”.

We get the society we fight for. Using “everything is terrible” as a reason why things can’t be improved is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Not saying that’s what you’re doing here- forgive me if I’m putting words in your mouth. I have a distaste for defeatist language, because the bad people sure aren’t giving up. I hope we aren’t.

1 Like

All risk is assumed; excuses are like buttholes. See 2008.

At some point, we need to be able to call out BS when it is right there, in front of us. Otherwise, accountability is moot.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.