Review: Zotac's Zbox EN1070K is the tiny game PC that could

I too spent a while in research hell. In my teens I could tell you exactly what type of memory, cpu or graphics card you should get for the best value. Now it all looks like gibberish to me and I can’t be bothered to study it all.

In the end I got the Wire Cutter’s previous (then) top recommendation on budget gaming laptops, the Lenovo Legion Y520.

At roughly the same price it does look very “gamery” but it works well and not needing the extra parts (memory, storage, monitor, keyboard) it is actually quite affordable in comparison.

3 Likes

Has PC gaming taken a hit now that Bitcoin et al is driving up GPU prices?

Personally I haven’t gamed in a decade but I’ve been thinking of picking up an x-box 720 or whatever they’re on - built in blu ray + the ocassional call of duty sounds fun and I don’t have to source the parts from all over china^H^H^H^H^H newegg

I’ve been thinking about upgrading my PC but at this point the only thing I really need is more ram. Getting anything more would require a new motherboard since I have an old i5-3570k which is still nice but the socket isn’t supported anymore.

1 Like

It might actually be that they’re not treating blue LEDs any differently than other colors. Blue LEDs can be brighter at the same voltage as other LEDs in series because they pull more current. If you swap the existing LEDs around, making the red one for power and the blue one for an error condition (something I’ve done) you don’t need to swap around resistors or anything because the circuits driving them tend to be identical.

1 Like

And you think this SFF box will be better in that regard?

Also, I have no trouble carrying around what is technically a gaming laptop. People act like they weigh 30kilos, but really it’s 1 or 2 kg over their ultralight laptops.

1 Like

I’ve used little sections of window tint, which I’m guessing is the same thing that this is meant to accomplish, albeit the window tint was much less convenient. I’m glad I’m not the only one fighting the good fight against unnecessary illumination.

I’ve often used electrical tape.

1 Like

Quantcast describes y’all as “interested in computers”, earning $150k+ a year, and, in what I assume is a term of art for the finance industry, “complacent” users of credit cards.

Now be a dear and click that link

8 Likes

I’ve been long convinced that something about being a parent warps their perception of reality. Because objectively speaking babies are terrible, and the only relief if they grow out of it quickly. Sure parents of older kids love to reminisce about how adorable their children were when they were babies. But parent’s selective memory forgets all the stressful horribleness of being a young parent of a crying poop factory that becomes the dominate factor in the activities of the household.

Having a baby is wonderful. Not having a baby is also wonderful. Being a grandparent is the best of both worlds.

3 Likes

The poop doesn’t bother me; loss of control of my own time is quite difficult; the baby is otherwise extremely fun. We have a very dedicated grandparent which is probably making things a lot easier than many parents experience.

5 Likes

Oh if only! I had egg burritos last night and left-over Easter candy caged from my wife’s office party. But if I see that six-figure earner I’ll make sure to pass along your regards.

As I’m mugging him for his gaming rig.

6 Likes

you are talking about something very different. Console gaming and desktop gaming are different animals entirely.

For console…grab whatever is the latest version of the console of your choice.
For desktop…you either grab whatever pre-built machine fits your budget and you game only within the limitations of that machine…OR…you determine what games you want to play and build something that fits the necessary specs.

2 Likes

Is this powerful enough to connect an Oculus and do some VR gaming? In other words, can I use this mini-PC to create a portable VR setup?

Sure, but the headset would be bigger than the computer. So you may as well save a little money and get something more normal.

Making the VR play space portable, for 6DOF systems, is a possible experimental / DIY thing. Yeah, a tiny 1070 box would be the place to start, if that’s what you want to try to do. A 1080 is better, but most VR programs work okay on a 1070; I’ve tried that. My understanding is that the VIVE has a mode where it continues working as something in between a 3DOF and true 6DOF system, when contact with the sensors is unavailable. I don’t think the Oculus can do this. On the other hand, the Oculus has sensors that use a wireless connection.

Oh, and I like the design of the 1080 model. Looks pretty decent. But Amazon shouldn’t group the reviews together! None of them are for that and it’s a different PC entirely.

Electrical tape is great if you don’t care to see the indicators at all, which is the case for a lot of things. The problem is when I actually want to see the lights because they tell me something useful, but can’t stand to look at them because they scar my dang retinas.

Some of my LEDs are bright enough that they shine through the tape. Otherwise I would put a pinhole in the tape to allow just a little light through.

1 Like

Are you suggesting strapping this thing to your back and start Cyberpunking around? It would probably work but you would need to also strap on a big honking UPS to power it, which would limit your endurance (both electrical and muscle). Also, you would need to find some fully baked AR apps, which I have yet to see.

God, bright enough to be visible through electrical tape, it’s almost like they thought they were designing a flashlight.

4 Likes

Thank you. Bought the sheet form factor for ridiculously bright clock in my bedroom.

3 Likes