Right-wing media's traffic nosedive: what happened?

Sad Narf

4 Likes

Well, they gotta get out there. Y’know, go to Russia. Interview Putin.

3 Likes

'58 vintage myself. I find it surprising that people would assume that those of us who grew up in the '60s and '70s wouldn’t have a leftist mindset.

8 Likes

Because most demonstrably don’t

5 Likes

Most of the Boomers I hang out with are still hippies.

2 Likes

Took back my ‘like’ because I don’t know what you mean. Most people don’t assume that or most of us don’t have a leftist mindset?

2 Likes

Happy cake day!

1 Like

I guess it’s a “who is us” question. Certainly, white men in our age range (and older) form the core of the fascist support.

The fact yhat 70+ breaks so strongly for fascists is particularly distressing for me, as they should know better, but also hopeful. Because, let’s face it, they are nearing the end of their run.

11 Likes

Man, what happened to all the folks protesting for civil rights, equal rights, and against the Viet Nam war? A lot of progress was made in those days.

I had such high hopes for society. :frowning:

Also, I guess I’m nearing the end of my run. Well, it’s been a slice! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The latter. As I said, demonstrably. @docosc has the numbers

6 Likes

That is such a drag. Most of the folks I know lean left, I don’t know what the fuck is going on with the ones I don’t. Sigh. :frowning:

5 Likes

Already on it!

5 Likes

Some of us gained a leftist outlook past 1980, specifically because of 1980.

15 Likes

Check on your peers? Find out for us all if you can?

I don’t know who can talk to them otherwise as it can’t be women or people younger than them.

9 Likes

Self selecting? Anybody that leans right is out of my circle as quickly as possible.

10 Likes

Quite likely. My circle is kinda small at present and righties aren’t likely to get in. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

It’s just east-European scat-singing Dada

2 Likes

That was always a minority of a very large demographic. This period also saw a great deal of young people joining the conservative movement. :woman_shrugging: We shouldn’t let the mythology of the 60s (that everyone was a free love, progressive, radical) obscure our understanding of actual history of that era. There were plenty of activists, and lots of those retained their leftist world view (though not all), but that most certainly wasn’t everyone in that age group. There was just an outside media focus on hippies and other leftists, because of the rise of the teenager as a powerful economic demographic in the 50s. The struggle between generations sold papers, so the media ran with it and made it seem like it was all the young people rebelling against their parents. That trickled down to later generations and how the media sought to just push that conflict narrative.

Which means you’re not going to know what they are actually thinking and saying on the right, outside of what you hear on the news, etc. There is always a danger in assuming that YOUR subjective experiences are reality for everyone else.

9 Likes

Yeah, but since then, there’s a bill working its way through Congress called The AM Radio for Every Vehicle Act of 2023, but it seems to be languishing in committee at the moment, even though it apparently has bipartisan support. Some yibberyabber about how AM radio is necessary for emergency communication.

3 Likes

I just think back to some of my peers in high school in the 70s, and I don’t think they’ll have improved.

10 Likes