Robot-proof your kids by teaching them to perform "unpredictable" jobs

What I meant is that when people think of art as an impractical skill, they’re thinking of (less serious) artists who (conspicuously) fit that 20th century stereotype, but that there’s a lot more going on that they’re not noticing.

3 Likes

What unpredictable jobs will survive? It was always thought that flying a helicopter was too difficult for an autopilot. But now they have autopilots in helicopters. So what job will remain too difficult for a robot?

1 Like

Robot salesperson. (They COULD do it themselves, but that would technically be slavery.)

1 Like

Thats one interpretation.

5 Likes

I follow you. My clarification was more related to the “watercolor flowers and other clip art” part. Artists also make solid, middle class incomes as professors, designers, curators, arts administrators, and many other careers that allow them to continue making challenging conceptual work without resorting to selling quick, puffy, vacuous greeting card images.

4 Likes

Aspiring to make one’s family “robot-proof” sounds like a regressive mentality. The problem is not automation, but rather using an economy based upon exploitation of the many by the few. Trying to earn one’s franchise within such a system which has already been thoroughly gamed seems like a naive strategy.

2 Likes

The problem of course is that once all the other jobs have been eliminated by robots for the jobs that remain, either there will be so much competition for them that it will be impossible to earn a living doing them, or only a very select elite will be allowed to have them.

1 Like

I work in environmental science and I have literally never done the same thing twice. No two days are the same. Sure, generally the same thing, and there is a lot of boilerplate text, but every single thing is different all the time. Although, ironically, at my current position I have actual PTS reports to do.

3 Likes

Do you put cover sheets on them? Did you read the memo? I got you another copy

2 Likes

Mamas, don’t let your babies grow up to be CEOs. Don’t let em pick lawyers and roll in old bucks…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.