Rock dust spread on farmland could remove billions of tons of carbon dioxide

Only on board if it’s in conjunction with reducing CO2 output rather than instead of reducing CO2 output. It’s like manufacturing more mops to clean up increased vomit in response to an e.coli outbreak instead of, y’know, stopping the e.coli outbreak.

3 Likes

I used US units because that’s what US people feel more comfortable with and that’s what US statistics are published in. as you pointed out, it’s an obvious back of the envelope calculation so pretending that somehow I should be minding my sigfigs like I need to turn in my work seems like misplaced pendantry.

it was a broad stroke of the brush intended to provide some perspective not to mislead.

Does the dust cloud that just blew over from the Sahara count?

1 Like

Global CO2 emissions are about between 30-40 billions tons per year, not sure the exact figure. So not really, no. Not unless we’ve already cut almost all global emissions and are ready to focusing undoing some of the damage we’ve already done.

Spreading limestone is a bad example, and we probably shouldn’t be doing that. It’s taking safely sequestered CO2 and putting it back in the biosphere.

Limestone (CaCO3) is 44% by mass CO2.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.