Salon gives readers a choice: view ads or mine cryptocurrency

Has anyone let Salon know that cryptocurrencies are a silly fad and that they’ll all be worthless one of these days?

Easy way to fix this. Offer participants a cut of any coins discovered.

That might actually work for most people. I’d rather not get involved in cryptocurrency mining, but that’s just me personally.

3 Likes

I have no problem with Salon and its workers getting paid, but it only takes one ad infected with malware to wreck your system. A few years ago, I wandered over to TVtropes, and a bad ad hit my laptop with a vicious rootkit. It almost killed the computer, but thank goodness, the lovely tech support at my antivirus company was able to log in remotely and fix it. So some of us have cause to avoid ads where possible. Not to mention, if you do most of your browsing on mobile, ads will eat up your data plan faster than anything. Once I started using an adblocker on my phone, my data usage dropped dramatically.

I think a subscription model would be ideal for getting the bills paid. That, or buying sponsored product, which I try to do every so often, to help keep the lights on at my favorite sites. I don’t wish to volunteer my computer or phone for some cryptomining that will use up my system resources, and possibly do who-knows-what-else that I might not be aware of. So while I can’t blame Salon for trying a new revenue stream, I won’t be visiting their site any time soon.

2 Likes

they don’t specify that on the pop-up shown, and even if in learn more they say it’s just for when you’re on their site, I have absolutely no reason to trust that. VW said they complied with emissions regulations. Also, my rig is old enough to stutter when playing a youtube video. Their idea of “cpu I’m not using” will almost certainly slow me way down if not outright crash.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.