Scientists discover that fungi can effectively break down plastic

“Reduce, Reuse, Recycle” - we need to spend more time on the first two so that we don’t need to do the third.
It’s frustrating as a consumer how many things are wrapped in plastic that do not need to be.

7 Likes

And it isn’t even number one in its genus in that; an honor which falls to A. fumigatus.

4 Likes

… maybe they can engineer a reverse fungus that will take CO2 and turn it into plastic :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Is a rubber tree close enough? You also sort of get polystyrene from sweet gum trees but it takes a long time…it’s the main component of their amber.

10 Likes

No fungus required.

As kids we used to experiment with direct air capture. Ever hear of a dutch oven?
:astonished:

1 Like

6 Likes

I’m genuinely surprised about this. I would think you just need to get the rocket to escape earth’s gravity, point it at the sun (or where the sun will be), and let gravity do the rest.

2 Likes

The problem is that pointing a rocket right at the sun would mean launching it fast enough to cancel the entire speed of the earth, which it starts with and would carry it past the sun on a 1 AU orbit. That’s more than the amount it takes to boost the speed into a parabolic orbit, for which the earth’s motion is some help.

6 Likes

i would be fine with populating (pun initially not intended) L4 and L5. Not good enough for nuclear waste but will do for billionaires.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.