Scientists study why people do not believe in scientific studies

Hard disagree on this. And this is my every fucking day life. There are certainly lefty science deniers, but they were never militant, threatening, personally offended science deniers, they were more along the lines of gnostic, secret knowledge types. The right wing took the pre-existing fascist tendencies in their disciples and empowered them to impose their beliefs on others, by force if necessary. (And, of course, it is always necessary.) Their jam is not the typical lefty “I am going to do what I think is right,” it is more “I believe this is right, and anyone who disagrees is my enemy.” I never saw this even during the worst of the vaccine wars. Now I see it everywhere. Now, I am not saying that there are not lefties who have migrated to fascist, but it is not because science denial “turned them.” Most often, it’s because they have become threatened by the increasing tendency of the left to view everyone as fully human, rather than as slightly (or severely) defective straight, white, cis males. See the developments in the TERF wars. “Feminists” who are offended by trans women, despite it affecting them in no way whatsoever. Folks who would have previously identified as liberals now going hard fascist because “OMG!! Trans!” That’s not science denial. That’s bigotry. I suspect this is the root of the majority of the “left the left” asshats.

19 Likes