"Secret family recipes" mostly plagiarised

“I put that shit on everything”

5 Likes

I see this stuff at the store and it always makes me chuckle… (spoiler warning, the Ancient Greek Formula is salt and MSG).

5 Likes

I’m going to have to sit and think about that for a while. At this point I don’t know if I will try to erase my short-term memory with a fridge magnet, or go out and buy some hot dogs for research.

9 Likes

That is absolutely true; use fresh tomatoes instead of canned, use Cento Anchovies instead of an off-brand. But selection (and preparation) of ingredients is part of technique, the actual list of ingredients is not.

3 Likes

specifically:

Ingredients: Salt, black pepper, corn starch, garlic, monosodium glutamate, oregano, flavor base seasoning (Hydrolyzed corn soy protein, sugar, onion powder, spice extracts), parsley and five other spices.

yummy.

1 Like

What a coincidence that the Ancient Greek Formula is exactly the same as the Ancient Mexican Formula for flavoring food! (I do, in fact, put this shit on everything)

2 Likes

You could try premium homemade bacon by starting with sausages.

1 Like
2 Likes

1 Like

Too true…but making new dishes or combining foods that haven’t been paired before is possible. The challenge is taking things that seem unpalatable together and using spices to create a tasty result. I’m still ticked that a contestant won the Pillsbury Bake-Off® with chicken and waffles - a combination that is very old:

2 Likes

The ingredients are pretty close.

Forgetting all that, though… there are some commonalities across Mediterranean food cultures (think salt, garlic, onions, and parsley).

Adobo is bae if you’re Hispanic

4 Likes

I’m not, but I use Goya Adobo and Sazonador in combination all the time. It’s my Secret Family Recipe! (that, and Maggi Sauce)

3 Likes

If anyone is curious what is in adobo powder (ingredients and ratios may differ):

2 tablespoons salt.
1 tablespoon paprika.
2 teaspoons ground black pepper.
1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder.
1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano.
1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin.
1 teaspoon garlic powder.
1 teaspoon chili powder.

2 Likes

My two favorite cloned recipes: “Soup Kitchen” (aka Soup Nazi’s) Mulligatawny Soup, and” Junior’s” Famous Cheesecake (both in NYC).

“Fucking Liars Got it From a Cookbook” Gotta love that one. :yum:

1 Like

“An ancient Greek formula”

May the ‘Sword of Damocles’ ever weigh upon your seasoning.

We had a Christmas tree in our house - I found out everyone on the block had a Christmas tree in their houses - still - ours was special.

7 Likes

Yeah, my wife and I are assembling a book of recipes that we use regularly; one of her sister’s wedding presents is a custom binder with all of our written up recipes in there. We have the sources on there but I still wouldn’t be surprised if her sister turns it into ‘secret family recipes’. And to be fair at least a few of them are recipes that we tweaked ourselves from the original.

2 Likes

Many published recipes are not even tested. The value of a recipe comes from having been tested and verified as not only working it being pleasing to the people who will prepare and consume it. Every family has developed different tastes and access to ingredients and even cooking techniques. Verifying that the recipe works in this context is the value of a family recipe.

2 Likes