Short documentary on Cleveland's disastrous 1986 Balloonfest

Also, I loved how the balloons looked for a while like a giant blob monster engulfing a building, like something out of a horror movie.

7 Likes

You gotta make some sacrifices if you want that world record.

1 Like

True, but it has been doing that for the four billion years that the Earth has existed. There’s probably a lot of it still around, but the immediate problem is that our fields and storage in Texas are running out, and the very immediate problem is that Qatar has just shut down its production facilities. On the other hand, the terrestrial supply of helium is increased continuously by radioactive decay; they’ve recently discovered a large source of it in Tanzania. Before that find, it was estimated that we would run out as early as 2030.

It happens I just had an MRI a week ago for a heart problem (results were that I’m OK); that machine used a lot of helium, and they don’t have a good way to make MRI machines without it. Ditto for Large Hadron Colliders.

No, I’m not letting Cleveland off the hook. They have to answer for balloons and for Drew Carey.

3 Likes
2 Likes

3 Likes

Those weren’t news guys, they were Big Chuck and Little John, Cleveland’s Friday night movie hosts!
Part of the problem that Cleveland had in the 80s was that the EPA stuff was only starting to clean up the lake & river, and they kept hiring out of town marketing geniuses to make Cleveland cool. They came up with slogans like “Cleveland’s A Plum” and hooked up with the United Way to do these kind of stunts. (See also, a few years earlier, the brilliant idea to throw a softball from the top of the Terminal Tower.)
http://www.news5cleveland.com/news/news-archives/video-vault-1980-terminal-tower-softball-drop

6 Likes

Same here. Posted for all to enjoy.

From WKRP in Cincinnati. Originally aired on October 30, 1978 IMDB

5 Likes

Same result here. That was the finest half hour of comedy television ever aired in America, one that still makes me laugh hysterically.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Pretty much anything that uses superconductors. Helium provides the cooling.

1 Like

It wouldn’t be a proper Cleveland discussion without mentioning the infamous…Ten Cent Beer Night incident!

7 Likes

Doin’ me a way back thought, had forgotten about them! Many a Friday night spent watching schlock, how I discovered shitty horror movies.

Sometimes but not often I miss being in NE Ohio. It was a good place to grow up.

1 Like

That’s more like it!

And I finally have clarity. Thanks for that.

I have to admit based on the title I was expecting the release of the balloons to somehow trigger a chain of events leading to burning skyscrapers and all the people running screaming for their lives on the ground below. But maybe I watch too many Hollywood movies and have an unreasonable expectations of disasters.

2 Likes

Just be glad you don’t live in the alternative timeline in which it was a release of pigeons.

3 Likes

HaHaHaHa that would have been epic.

I honestly thought that a helicopter would be brought down by them.

This time, it’s for real.
This time, the balloons are playing for keeps!

2 Likes

The sign for the border crossing from Canada to the US should really just read…

We’re Sorry
We Know We’re Idiots

1 Like