Shortly after her death, Harper Lee's heirs kill cheap paperback edition of To Kill a Mockingbird

As I said above, the risk is pretty low. Do you think Harper and Collins would sue a school and take the PR hit over a few dozen copies of a book?

I’d argue that pretty much all kids do have access to a device that could read a PDF, even if that is a library computer. I didn’t own a computer, a vcr, or even have cable, and I had computer access at school.

But again, that is one solution, with buying used, or sucking it up and just pay extra for the book being two other options. My school had books they loaned out to students, who returned them for the next class to read.

Again, it’s a dick move, but it isn’t like anyone is being deprived of reading this book in 2016, in the middle of the information age.

No that really isn’t true? What are low income kids who have no computers at home supposed to do - go the library, which may not be convenient for them, or perhaps they don’t have a ride to get there? Stay after school until the reading is done? What about if they have jobs, or no way to get home without the bus?

The school should buy them copies of the book, as I’m sure that they can get copies for cheap from the publisher, or they can buy up used copies online…

That seems far more workable to me.

I’d still argue that technology isn’t as evenly spread as you think. Until that’s true, then depending on the internet just isn’t a workable solution.

7 Likes

I agree with the whole Poverty have no access to technology argument; What they just did is eliminate access to one of fine literature to those who could barely afford to stay alive.

1 Like
9 Likes

This solidifies my opinion that copyright should last a fixed time unrelated to the author’s death, and shorter than half a lifetime.

1 Like

Admittedly, my exposure these days to copyright and textbooks involves musical scores, but I’ve found that music teachers are very attentive to using copyrighted materials in the correct legal fashion.

A teacher who has to figure out a solution for impoverished students, sure, I can understand how workarounds would happen, but generally speaking I haven’t seen teachers cheat the system to save a few bucks. If anyone understands the value of a writer (composer, etc.) getting royalties from their work, it would be a teacher.

2 Likes

And the kids read the PDF on what, exactly? Not every school district is giving children tablets or computers (my daughter certainly never got one).

6 Likes

Yep, Lifetime +20 years would of course cover anyone, regardless of the issue of having children or not - even if an author dies at child birth (or even before) the youngest child is still covered until they’re at least 18, and there’s no complications about children that were disowned, unacknowledged or the author was not aware of muddying the waters even further.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.