Simple comic strip explains the complexities of white privilege

Here is Bob’s Grandma, living a life of leisure during her privileged childhood.
http://www.shorpy.com/node/1025?size=_original#caption
Bob’s Grandpa, similarly idle-

Here is the mansion Bob’s Dad grew up in-
http://www.shorpy.com/node/18727?size=_original#caption
All you have to be is white in this country, and they just hand everything to you.

1 Like

…my ancestor was a slave. I bet that current southern billionaires planning to bring back slavery through prison labor.

Quite a lot of people in this first world country (the U.S.) are born into a war zone where they don’t have adequate food, water, education and medicine and can be mowed down by bullets at any moment of the day or night. People down the street from me.

5 Likes

If you saw the equivalent black housing from the same area at the same time you would realize that Bob’s family WAS doing better.

7 Likes

That’s not what “white privilege” means.

9 Likes

My ancestor(s) was a slave owner. And he helped lose the american civil war for the south. Then died years later as an insurance salesman (there is no point to this anecdote).

2 Likes

Do you feel sufficiently guilty?

2 Likes

I hear you, in that language choice is a significant issue when trying to convince people. Politics is certainly one big proof of that.

I’m part of a group in the U.S. with major life and civil rights violations. One of our biggest problems is that all the language used to discuss our group is highly prejudiced against us. Sound familiar? And one of the things that really bugs us is when we’re told that we’re not allowed to choose our own terms to describe ourselves or our reality. So truly, I get what you’re saying, but those in power shouldn’t have the right to say “we don’t like the terms you use” to sideline the main discussion. I’m not a huge fan of the term “privilege”, but it’s not my call. The term is already in use, well defined, and preferred by the pioneers in the discussion. So it’s not my call to change it because it isn’t the perfect term. It’s good enough. Let’s move on to a more substantial subject instead.

I don’t think we’re too far off from each other in this. It’s a matter of degrees, not true opposition.

3 Likes

Use it all you want, just don’t be surprised when it backfires on you, and reinforces all the division.

For example, this topic alone is (almost) in the top 20 all year on BBS, just browse /top if you don’t believe me. If you want to pick fights, and boy oh boy do dudes love them a fight, believe me – a discussion of “privilege” is the way.

2 Likes

…questions?

(Runs away from the flinging tomatoes)

2 Likes

That this is in the top 20 proves that this is bad somehow?

So, we shouldn’t do things that pick fights because it plays into their hands? Ok. We should use all positive terms that they’ll just ignore because, frankly, they don’t give a shit about this discussion, they just want to pick a fight and live an unexamined life. They’re not going to give a shit either way and they aren’t the ones to win over. We’re not trying to get “white dudes looking for a fight on the Internet” on our side. They’re on their own side with no wish to change. This is about everyone else, including people interested in listening.

7 Likes

Is rubbernecking at a car wreck considered instructive? Is it really news to anyone that systemic inequity has existed in humanity since the dawn of time, and each and every one of us is born into that, somewhere?

What could you learn from this topic (or the original cartoon, for that matter) about what to actually do about any of this, today? Just yell at each other some more and play who-is-less-privileged bingo?

2 Likes

Not from the dawn of time. Only from the dawn of civilization. All these things we object to were invented.

History matters.

3 Likes

I dunno. Ask the people who think racism ended sometime around 1968.

You completely didn’t address my point about who is out there to convince. It isn’t the folks bitching about the word “privilege.”

6 Likes

Ooh… I am totally gonna get banned. Jeff I really love your work. We actually have several mutual friends. Rant on.

That is the most insane thing I have heard in years. Do you know how economics work? How nepotism works? How cascading poverty works?

As both of us know, for as much as (as a relevant example) Silicon Valley wants to be a meritocricy, it is soo far from that. So don’t insinuate this conversation is ‘rubbernecking’. The privilege problem is here, the privilege problem is now.

Rant off. I hope I am not banned too long. I just strongly disagree with your position.

3 Likes

Why would he ban you for disagreeing with him?

1 Like

Tone. I need to mellow out, haven’t slept in days. @codinghorror I am not sycophantic, and I love your work. But I think your opinion needs some serious error handling.

1 Like

Okay, this is official.

No more dog piling on Jeff, it isn’t constructive. I honestly apologize for being part of it.

(Anyone need an xkcd bingo square?)

Stop. Pointing out that a group of people have privilege, isn’t hate. Pointing out statistical data about Jewish Americans isn’t anti-semitism.

albill wondered about the supposed privilege Jewish Americans have, because a family member had to change his name. Well, it’s not as if only Jewish people have changed their names to conform to a society that expects Anglified names, now are they?

Tell me this guy doesn’t have white privilege.

Tell me the light-skinned, blue-eyed man doesn’t walk into the bank or into the job interview without an automatic advantage over POC (perhaps a greater advantage, if it’s a business position since part of the stereotype is “good at business”), despite his real last name being Leibovitz or the possibility that he had ancestors murdered within the past century, for being Jewish.

Yes, there are people who say horrible, anti-semitic things about John Stewart, and he had to change his name to be more “normal”. But if white people living in poverty whose ancestors may have moved here because of the Potato Famine, are supposed to acknowledge their privilege, how are we supposed to take anyone at all seriously when they suggest that an equally white person with a much higher net worth has no privilege because of the Holocaust?

Do people who are, say, 1/4 Lakota but white-passing also get a privilege pass? How about Bosnian-Americans? Armenian Americans, maybe? Or would you simply lump them in with “white”?

Oh god… Oh god yes. Do people understand how easy it makes getting a loan, buying a coffee, getting pulled over, or fighting in court is?

(Oh Jesus Christ, I am going to offend so many people with this, but here it goes…)

When I step into a boardroom I dominate. With a word. When my good friend, a short black dude does the same he has to show he is worth even being there.

4 Likes