Someone stole a semi full of cancer drugs from a Tennessee truck-stop

You’re assuming that the person who stole the trailer knew what was in it. The story as reported contains no facts to support that assumption.

What you (and Cory) are saying is that drugs are expensive. When a shipment that you know contains said expensive drugs is stolen then thief MUST have also known it contained drugs. You’re assuming that the thief is operating with the same knowledge that you have.

Is it not equally possible that it was just a crime of opportunity? Perhaps something about the setup of this rig just made it easier to steal. Perhaps the just arrived truck is less likely to be quickly noticed as missing thus providing more get away time.

Sure healthcare and drug pricing are broken but that doesn’t necessarily explain this crime.

1 Like

My guess is this is an inside job gone wrong- someone/some group probably thought they were going to heist a truck full of painkillers, something got screwed up. I look forward to the movie.

1 Like

Movie, yes, but I’mma going out on a limb here: The truck was heisted by professionals hired by a support group for people who needed those drugs, but who couldn’t afford the payments. If drugs you need to stay alive are thousands of dollars per month, the tradeoff for stealing them in bulk starts to look pretty attractive.

2 Likes

7 Likes

We knew that Adelai Niska escaped but it was assumed that he was elsewhere in the Verse.

1 Like

i don’t know about this drug, but if this was a “hard to replace but neccessary to survive” drug, they could take thousands of hostages by proxy.

Collecting the ransom is always the weak point though.

Speculation - I think the drug shipper (manufacturer?) arranged the theft and will resell them, hitting up the insurance company for the “loss”.

One pill makes you larger. One pill makes you small. And the ones that mother gives you don’t do anything at all.

No, because, again, the framing was that it was either a crime of opportunity (i.e. the thief didn’t know what was in it), or indicated dysfunction of the healthcare system. I don’t know why you’re fighting comprehension on this.

FFS

I thought maybe addicts junkies and/or their suppliers knew of this factory and reasoned that trucks leaving it carried narcotics. Boy howdy, gonna hijack me one of them trucks and I’ll be high and/or rich for life. Trouble is that they never thought other types of meds were produced there as well. IMHO most addicts and low-level suppliers aren’t really good at thinking things through.

Edited to change a word …
I equate addicts with those that got hooked via prescriptions, and just don’t know what to do. Like if they took time off to go to rehab they wouldn’t have a job to go back to or there’s not enough (or any) insurance to cover it.
Junkies, on the other hand, live for the hit and will do just about anything for it.

1 Like

Mexico.

Post must be at least nine characters

1 Like

One or two of these put at the end of a post will save you from the dreaded not enough characters. It’s just HTML for a space and won’t add anything to your reply. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, there is a growing market for medical tourism, despite the added costs and hassle of travel. Imagine being able to get your medicine without having to go on long bus rides and waits at airports and TSA hassle and flights halfway around the world (which isn’t easy when you’re healthy, let alone sick). Of course, you could chance ordering by mail from some foreign pharmacy, but that’s risky and it might get intercepted at the border. You might lose it all and not even know until your next dose is overdue. If you need the medicine, wouldn’t you prefer not to have those risks?

The advertisement for black market medicine writes itself. That’s…really sad, for lack of stronger words.

I’m thinking crime of opportunity. I used to work for a company that made (among other things) biomedical research equipment, and the FedEx van containing one of our latest machines, worth about 50k EUR and one of the first ten sold, was stolen in Germany.

They got it back a few weeks later.

I look forward to the cake home movie.

I posit C) soft recall. The drugs were rushed through production and shipped at-risk prior to the completion of all quality control testing. Octapharm discovered that the batch was non-compliant after it left the dock. Rather than pull all of the required regulatory levers for a formal recall, they chose a more direct method of reclamation.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.