Startup offers to build studio apartments in homeowners' backyards and split the rental income

Oh, man, that hasn’t got any giblets! What a rip!

(Just the idea of a complete, tube shaped chicken seems soooo weird).

2 Likes

Oh, the humanity! Despite decades of selfless services to his nation, GI Joe still ends up homeless.

(That domed house is surprisingly spacious)

3 Likes

Sounds dystopian…

3 Likes

8 Likes

Just rewatched that last night for the first time in years… it’s even more applicable now than it was in the 80s…

8 Likes

A chicken in every pot! A pot in every brownie! Mmmm. Brownies…nom nom
Wait, what were we talking about?
Hey, what are you doing in my backyard?

5 Likes

Wait … through a company like this one in the first post, or just ad-hoc via the property owner?

Via the property owners, people building tiny homes in the backyards to rent is a pretty common sight here.

6 Likes

Thats only a bad thing unless Jack Nicholson shows up in clown paint with a cartoonishly long barreled pistol! Having a spare bat-man around may have its perks.

2 Likes

I believe we were talking about some delusional daydream that was once the height of American Delusionalism.

This guy is an expert:

The%20American%20Dream

3 Likes

And yet you have no qualms about the flat breast object sandwich between two bun-like objects? Or any of the other multitude of iterations of same?

Tubular chicken versus flat chicken, or square-shaped “filet” versus actual fish-shaped filet, McNugget plug versus nothing else on the planet. It’s all profit for somebody.

1 Like

50% is a good reminder for people who think they can make money renting out a home whose mortgage is the same as the rent (which is pie in the sky in desirable places like the bay area).

Note to self: Shredded Cheese Authority is not a government agency.

6 Likes

The SCA resembles that remark, I’ll have you know. Their cadre of highly-trained patriotic curd wranglers exists to guard the integrity of America’s American Cheese Food Product supply - shredded or no.

2 Likes

I salute you, your agency and all who sail in you!

3 Likes

I can tell you that the details will come down to the homeowner has no power to vet or evict but has a responsibility to maintain. The company has the power to vet and evict but no liability if it goes wrong. If there are problems it will come down to arbitration with a arbitrator hired by the company. Of course you can send an email to their customer service address and expect a prompt and courteous response.

The company owns the building, so if you decide you want out of the arrangement you will have to buy it from them in a big balloon payment. Or maybe there’s a clause saying they keep control of the land it’s built on.

5 Likes

I imagine a farmyard full of tins, each containing a chicken, being fed through a hole in the top… Actually, I guess I’ve just described modern factory farming methods… or Farmer Vincent’s back yard… eech!

Better to go vegan

What? Do I hear someone saying I’m off topic? Well, then, may I suggest that these backyard Auxiliary Dwelling Units should each come with a small garden patch—in which to grow specially shaped fruits and vegetables :smiley:

6 Likes

I’m off to swab the poop deck, matey!

2 Likes

You’d want to budget for a team of lawyers to look over that contract, and the reputable ones would presumably advise you strongly against it…