Steampunk nearly went mainstream, then nearly vanished

Don’t worry I collected a bunch up them and stored them in an undersea utopia… I should probably check on them.

7 Likes

Just send some brown-haired mute guy with stubble,
everything will be fine.
It always is.

4 Likes

Looks like The Humungus’s weekend wheels.

3 Likes

Outrageously, grossly, paraphrasing Stephen Colbert: They look like trade school students who’ve just returned from spot-welding class.

My favorite comment was about the milkshakes at “Toothsomes Chocolate” the steampunk place in Orlando.

It’s like someone pureed a clown

12 Likes

Heard coming from the blender: "Ouuuuuchhh! Hello, boys and girls. Ouuuuch!!! Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Oouuchhh!!! Who wants a ballon-animal?

6 Likes

I always found the steam codgers, the usually aging guys, with the occasional apprentice type, that keep vintage steam-powered machinery going and show it off on ‘steam days’ or the like to be a lot more interesting than the average steampunker. I do like some of the cabinetry and functional gear made by steampunkers, though.

11 Likes

Maybe ‘steampunk’ has slowed down in Hollywood. Those awkward and heavy steampunk props and costumes can wreck an actor’s back and neck!

:wink:

sounds like the music business

2 Likes

It’s funny that I put Steam Powered Giraffe’s “Honeybee” on the WinAmp just before I logged into Boing Boing today.

6 Likes

being fascinated with the distant past, like the 19th century, was a fad right after the turn of the millennium, but that wasn’t going to last forever

eventually nostalgia would return to its usual scope and magnitude, and people would resume thinking about their own pasts and their own futures again

1 Like

What if it wasn’t the iPhone, but the rapidly growing ability of us ordinary people to hide our ‘gears’? The time period you’ve outlined also traces that of 3D printers. Instead of exposing their inner workings, makers can now hide them with their own custom-designed and fabricated inscrutable plastic veneers.

The barrier to enter the world of brass and leather fabrication is a lot higher than that of a 3D printer. Instead of a shop and workbench and lathe, you can take one out of the box and pop it on the kitchen table; the barrier to entry to make truly beautiful, functional, and sensible pieces is not nearly as high. Hot gluing a disassembled clock’s gears on a jacket or hat always looked exactly as ridiculous it sounds, so (fortunately) that aspect of the steampunk aesthetic has passed.

Sure, the right-to-repair crowd is now the same as the steampunk crowd, but I think that’s only because steampunk was the fashion of the moment during the visible rise of the maker movement. It wasn’t driven by steampunk.

7 Likes

Yeah, a lot of the steampunk craze probably can be attributed to people at the dawn of a new century looking back to the dawn of the 20th. I wonder if the upcoming decade will see an obsession with the 1920s – Jazz, flappers, and the whole deal. We already have a trend of bars that pretend to be speakeasies after all.

4 Likes

Looking forward to ukulele steam-punk burlesque.

Though, I bet a quick GIS for the last two will turn something up.

1 Like

Dang, thats another anime i need to watch i think :slight_smile:

Though no topic mentioning steampunk is complete without a link to one of my favourite webcomics i read :smiley:

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php

15 Likes

We have a future?

7 Likes

I’m more into transistorpunk myself.

9 Likes

well, not the UK

4 Likes

We had a good run.

5 Likes

parliament can continue postponing the future indefinitely

4 Likes