Stories from the 1906 San Francisco earthquake

Originally published at: Stories from the 1906 San Francisco earthquake | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Lookie, a new utopian city, where the poors can live outside and service the wealthy for slave wages, can’t wait, it’ll be just like San Francisco.

19 Likes

I recommend that any potential investors read up on ghost cities in China before writing any checks.

7 Likes

So, put them all in one place… Interesting.

4 Likes

Arrested Development Reaction GIF

10 Likes

The former Walmart executive last week unveiled plans for Telosa, a sustainable metropolis that he hopes to create, from scratch, in the American desert

Something doesn’t seem right here

11 Likes

Nod Yes GIF by Captain Obvious

8 Likes

Yeah earthquake faults or no there are actually a number of good reasons that San Francisco (like most major cities) is where it is. Plopping a whole new city in the middle of a resource-poor stretch of desert that doesn’t even have strategic value seems like a plan destined for failure.

8 Likes

Humans will buy anything that they can call ownership over. Fact…

6 Likes

Yes, let’s build more cities in (checks notes) “areas of the country suffering under severe drought conditions where water resources are quickly becoming more valuable than gold and being fought over.” Brilliant idea. Genius. Let’s just abandon all those tired old cities because improving them would be too hard and let’s destroy the west now. But we’re calling it “sustainable” because that sounds good.

Honestly, if it were an architectural firm putting this out, I’d think this is one of those pie-in-the-sky bullshit plans designed to sell the firm, not produce an actual working product. Alas, it’s a former Walmart exec, which suggests this is a great way for a corporation to not only control all the land on a vast scale, but have a ready and submissive work force tied to their whims and needs. But I’m a pessimist when it comes to anything being promoted by the architects of our current corporate dystopia, however noble they might think they’re being. If they really cared, they wouldn’t have spent a life time acting the way they have.

5 Likes

Javier Bardem Breath GIF by Regal

I am in!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.