Street interviews: what Chinese think of white foreigners

I already told you Mom, it’s not a phase!

11 Likes

I guess it is a perceived power disparity thing; us White Guys are so snug in our privilege it is difficult for us to get offended by racial insults aimed at us. Look at me, mansplaining and everything, like a total dick.

18 Likes

Nah, I’ll take it as owning your privilege, which I dearly wish more white guys would do.

Here’s hoping you use your privilege sometimes for the sake of those who don’t have it.

16 Likes

Wow…I :black_heart: Panda Goth so much! Where has it been all my life??

EDIT: I realize this is totally at odds with several of my previous comments regarding goth and appropriation, but still…Panda Goth!

3 Likes

Programmers sometimes use the derogatory term “code monkey” in reference to less-skilled or outright incompetent programmers.

Update: added “derogatory”.

6 Likes

That was rather my point.

Must be nice; I can’t begin to fathom what it’s like to have such privilege.

10 Likes

Horrified by the “undeniably more beautiful” stuff, and so in mind of Aamer Rahman’s “Just for kicks: subject white people to colored people’s standards of beauty, so that they end up hating the color of their own skins, eyes and hair.”

7 Likes

Weren’t we just talking about insulting people’s biology, and how it’s better not to? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gender/sexuality specifically; yes, we were.

Why; was I unintentionally doing it again?

2 Likes

Incidentally, this is not at all true of what I saw in Taiwan (also ethnically Han). Despite the fact that there were pretty much no public trash receptacles, there was no trash anywhere in public spaces. Private residences were usually immaculate. Street-level businesses could be a little grimy, but mostly for good reasons (probably about 30% of them were scooter mechanics).

ETA: 7-11 is ubiquitous and has a bunch of native Taiwanese copy-cats. Those were immaculate and incredibly well-stocked. Convenience stores are like the center of economic life there.

That’s definitely consistent with my observation about Taiwan!

5 Likes

Injustice, perpetrated along asymmetric power lines demarcated by race/ethnicity, religion, economic position, gender and nationality, etc. exists, and should be righted.

That said: Cultural appropriation is an inherently racist framework (even when well-intentioned).

In order to commit to understanding the world through the lens of cultural appropriation one must:

1. Assume there is an authentic we that is in no way inter-subjective with an authentic other.

2. Assume that some authority is the legitimate gatekeeper by which the authentic other is permitted to interact with the authentic we.

3. The gatekept interaction of the authentic other and the authentic we can never create an authentic we inheriting two cultures.

Fuck that.

13 Likes

Haha, ballroom isn’t exactly what people have in mind when they say white people can’t dance, right? Ballroom is a bunch of specific steps you learn one at a time and practice ad nauseum until they become fluid, whereas “white people can’t dance” seems more to me like saying white people can’t naturally feel the music and fluidly improvise.

Not arguing with you, just commenting a bit on your example.

3 Likes

Nope. You were being awesome.

carl-sagan-youre-awesome

7 Likes

Oh, cool.

My prey drive is at constant odds with my inner-asshole and with my best self; sometimes it’s hard for me to tell which one is currently “winning.”

Someone needs to tell that person about Heather Morris; the chick from Glee.

She can dance her ass off.

4 Likes

Yer not alone.

3 Likes

All chimpanzees? I thought I’d seen photos of chimpanzees with pink faces and dark grey faces. Maybe it’s a common chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes) vs bonobo (Pan paniscus) thing?

1 Like

Image is totes putting me in mind of Shonen Knife.

3 Likes
8 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. I’ve not listened to them in a while.

Edit: Pure joy.

2 Likes

@SheiffFatman

TRASH

4 Likes