Supermarket turns down checkout beep sound, and other strange marks of respect for Queen Elizabeth II

That’s just traditional British public transport. We prefer a bit of uncertainty and spontaneity in our journeys.

6 Likes

Of course, a lot of places (such as my job) are closing, not necessarily for mourning, but just because it’s a free bank holiday and we’d like the day off.
I’m planning to sleep in late and then play computer games, possibly even fit in a trip to the pub.

7 Likes

Ever helpful, the dear old Grauniad has made a list:
Bizarre marks of “respect”.

Bad enough that several strikes were called off “out of respect”. You did WHAT? Can you even SAY “class struggle”? You’re striking for a daily wage and the richest women in the world dies and you roll over and play dead? You serfs!

2 Likes

I’m not sure if you’ll be able to read this, but I’ll try anyway. (NB: It’s satire.)
Stephen Fry, Emma Thompson to be buried with the Queen

1 Like

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

parks and recreation whats your point GIF

And we kind of have other shit happening right now…

2 Likes

I’ve almost finished digging the barrow, fitted the chariot and horses, the hunting dogs and the winged helmet, now I have to make it bigger for the national treasures – but Sam Allardyce!!! – can’t we put in Piers Morgan too?

2 Likes

Eh, I’m not too bothered by that- it’s all part of the tactics of Industrial action- carrying out a strike is partly about winning the public to your cause, and the strike dates have just been delayed, not cancelled.

It’s ended up working out much better for some of the workers involved. They get the PR and reputation boost for calling the strike off, then the government has gone and declared Monday a national holiday, so they either get paid more to work that day, or get a paid day off anyway.

3 Likes

My only problem with that is that you’re just asking to be trolled by the bees.

ROYAL BEEKEEPER: I must regretfully inform you of the passing of Her Royal Majesty, Queen Elizabeth the Second.

:honeybee::honeybee::honeybee::honeybee::honeybee::honeybee::honeybee:: What are you talking about? The Queen is fine.

:crown::honeybee:: Yeah, who says I’m dead?

3 Likes

Frankly, I’m not convinced. Once you’re on strike, you’ll be villified anyway, and going for it makes your point that much more effectively. Oh well, YMMV.
Meanwhile, here on the outskirts of sunny (haha) Manchester, UK, everything is shut down on Monday 19th except for the poor municipal Binmen. That’s right, no day off for the skaffies.

2 Likes

Honestly, I get that. The Tories have really been whipping up anti-union sentiment, and their pet right-wing rags have been only too happy to sign on to help. If the unions went ahead with the strikes, particularly not running trains and the tube while the Queen is in state, it would have been a PR disaster.

3 Likes

I should be glad that you aren’t including all surviving national football managers in the Commonwealth. The Queen can have Glenn Hoddle and Terry Venables, and I guess that Alex Ferguson isn’t doing much now, but we still need Paul Simpson (U20 mens World Cup winning England manager in 2017) up in Carlisle. Sarina Wiegmann is also busy with the England womens team.

1 Like

Queue (Let’s all stand in a queue)

Let’s all stand in a queue;
It’s surely the respectful thing to do!
We’ll stand for fourteen hours
And bend the knee to earthly powers
And bid the head of state our toodle-oo!

It’s traditional, and yet it’s somehow new!
As we slowly forward sidle
We’re so glad that we’re not idle
And feel like loyal subjects through and through!

(It’s such a shame there’s not a single loo!)
Through republicans can mock
We’ll inch ahead around the clock
For twenty seconds personal adieu!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.