Superstorms are tearing up America's crumbling, neglected infrastructure

2 Likes

10 Likes

Ever since Proposition 13 the USA has been a starving body consuming itself.

5 Likes
5 Likes

But I love 3rd world infrastructure coupled with 1st world nationalistic pride!

6 Likes

Well, we finished building England back in about the 1520s, apart from a cosmetic rebrand for the UK in the early 1700s. Y’orda finished the USA by now, don’cha think?

2 Likes

What? So illegal aliens - illegal aliens, ya hear me?! - and poor people can move about more easily?

Why bother? - anyone who is anyone has access to a private jet anyway.

/s

Thinks: Do I really need a sarcasm indicator? Yes, I probably do.

3 Likes

Back when we built Big Things all the time -

• the government just took the land, using eminent domain. Conservatives hate this.
  • nobody gave a shit about “environmental impacts”. Liberals hate this.
  • the people who were going to wind up living next to an airport, or an interstate, were told to just suck it up, it’s the price of progress. Humans hate this.

So now we have a process which tries to forestall anything that anyone hates. The result is that Big Things cost far more, and take far more time, than they used to. The result of that is that Big Things hardly ever get done any more.

3 Likes

One wonders if institution of “Public Works” like during the great depression would work to solve these issues, and as well provide employment for the underemployed?

2 Likes

I remember this guy well.

infrastructure-guy

8 Likes

I’d say 1530s, but, close enough for government work!

3 Likes

Except for the part where city planners start getting bored and call down a giant monster to wreck the city.

2 Likes

But that wall across our southern border is soooo going to be built.

2 Likes

Oh those treacherous regulators, just trying to kill jobs! Do you really think an environmental study costs as much as the Apollo program?

3 Likes

For sure NIMBY still exists, but that doesn’t explain why current infrastructure isn’t kept up.

3 Likes

Nonsense! It’s not warming up at all—by which I mean, of course it is, but it has nothing to do with us—well, yeah, it has something to do with us, but not enough—which is, of course enough, but it’s too late to do anything, and anyway, drowning is good for poor people. Builds character.

Watching the GOP slip down this list has been entertaining in a “watching a slow motion train wreck while you are on the train and a girder is flying straight at your face” kind of way.

5 Likes

Apt metaphor.

2 Likes

There is no shortage of money, either, using the same logic.

The primary deficit we’re dealing with is one of philosophy, specifically the moral failings of elected leaders fetishizing whatever pseudo-scientific social theories the wealthy are currently peddling.

7 Likes

(squints) Norm Abram?

1 Like

I thought it was real live astronauts we sent to the moon, not straw men.