Sweden to build road that will charge EVs while driving

Tribolectric charging. Furry cars and roadway.

Problem solved.

7 Likes

It’s always frickin’ magnets with you people. (/s :joy::wink:)

4 Likes

Reading this while traveling on an ICE enhanced the experience (it was 10 mins late. I did not reach my connection. DB, fuck yeah!)

2 Likes

A number of 2024 models of EV are going to come with solar panels, so they’ll recharge slowly all day.

Solar freakin’ roadways!

Edit - I should have read further down the thread! I had a knee jerk reaction to snow clearing, electricity and roads.

1 Like

That’s just because we don’t know how they work.

It must be a miracle.

2 Likes

Yes because thats not possible at all, its not like they could use the green energy they already make…

Even here in the uk we could make all the green energy we need if we just stopped voting Tory and built more windfarms, the uk is perfectly placed to generate so much wind power and that’s just form our Tory MP’s!

If only they would stop taking dark money off American oil companies in the form of “think tanks” that don declare where they get their funding from…

3 Likes

I too would be shocked, not shocked at the statement, but shocked that you would tell me such a clear lie for no gain. https://www.iea.org/data-and-statistics/charts/comparative-life-cycle-greenhouse-gas-emissions-of-a-mid-size-bev-and-ice-vehicle The worst case scenarios for a mid-sized vehicle in both low and high carbon electricity generation scenarios beat ICE.

Broadly I support that idea, but we are far enough along in the process that we need to start tossing out some of the ideas that we know are bad. We keep building gadgetbahns instead of doing the low hanging fruit, like mandating a standardized connector and other basic policy options.

2 Likes

It probably doesn’t charge your EV by that much though.

2 Likes

Absolutely untrue. It’s all about efficiency, friend. EVs are an order of magnitude more efficient that ICE vehicles.

Even if your oil company talking point were true, guess what- it would be irrelevant. Oil company shills are always shocked when I tell them that.

The reason is that fixing carbon emissions on a few dozen power plants is literally millions of times easier than fixing carbon emissions on millions and millions of individual cars. It’s a huge win even if they weren’t so much more efficient to begin with.

It’s not about making perfect solutions, it’s about making a million improves to our society that gradually get us to a sustainable place. Even so, EVs are a huge win, as @SamSam points out, even if your power comes from coal.

3 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

It really frustrates me when people expect there to be a singular, silver bullet answer to climate change. We know how to fix this shit, really - we just don’t have the political will to do so yet.

That’s one thing I really appreciated Ministry of the Future by KSR - he did not propose some singular solution to dealing with this globe-spanning, complicated issue. Instead he shows how it’s about just what you said there - lots of small changes that move the needle together…

6 Likes

Do you happen to live near Andrew Bird? You and he seem to have a similar neighbor!

Thought the wall was a gun
And that the gun was a flag
That the flag was a truck
And that the truck was a mighty bird of prey

'Fraid they’d take it away from you
Why would they take it away from you?

For without it, where would you be?
At the stop n’ shop at Route 43
That’s where you’d be now

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.