Take a vacation, or die young

Trust me, I totally agree with you!

As I tell my kids, try everything when you’re young to get a sense of what works best for you, because you want to spend your life working in a field you’re 1) good at and 2) LIKE. Unfortunately what I like, I’m not that good at, and what I’m good at, pays all the bills very well indeed but I really don’t like it at all.

3 Likes

Have I built up no goodwlll here at all?? :cry:

3 Likes

I’m so conflicted. Work is about to send me to Bruges and then Amsterdam. My experience with my coworkers in both places says we will spend a great deal of time eating and drinking with a few hours of meetings thrown in every few days. They work barely half the time I usually spend working. So if work calls it work, and I call it vacation, do I get to live forever?

5 Likes

And I am reminded I should use some of the hours I have as I have over a week banked again.
That is one thing that makes me hesitant to get a new job as got to count my previous employers time for bennnies calculation when I got picked up by the contracting firm and now I have 4 weeks of vacation time a year.

1 Like

I have friends working on financial software. (The backend stories will make you worry.) So I can somewhat relate… :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s fairly common. :frowning: More vacation time is needed.

2 Likes

My husband has taken this week off work. We’ve been hitting up shops we don’t get to as much now that we have a baby and trawling through second hand book shops in our area. He’s also had a Sydney day trip and going to do a Newcastle one. It’s great. Around Christmas/New Year his work has a mandated 2 week leave, if you want to work at that time you have to ask permission. After all that, he’ll still have some left to take at another time. This is after working half days and using annual leave for the rest of day while our daughter was in hospital for 6 weeks and taking 1 week of carers leave when she came home.

I need to do something like that again, about 3 years ago now I took some days off as I was hitting the limit and took the big ass scoot out as far west as I could go which is a few hours from Seattle. Nice ride with fun twisty roads for the last part of it. I crashed in Port Angeles and came home by dinner the next day. It felt great to just go ride and look at places all day.

2 Likes

I thought this story was taking a turn for the worse here.

You were on a Twilight tour, weren’t you? You can tell us.

2 Likes

oooh crashed is a poor word choice there… how about gave up and found a room rather than drive all night.
and no not a twilight thing. just that it was getting to be 8pm and dark so time to have food and rest.
had fun at poking around at Fort Worden on the way back and almost had tea in Port Gamble but opted for a not so fancy lunch.

I quite like the idea that you crashed the scooter, left it there and went home for dinner.

2 Likes

Not literally, I hope. :wink:

edit: I see @daneel got there first!

1 Like

I’d actually really like to visit Port Angeles and that end of the Olympic Peninsula, but I don’t want to be lumped in with the Twilight tourists. Maybe in 5 more years it won’t be a thing anymore.

Totally worth it, there are plenty of non Twilight tourists and I only noticed one shop with Twilight signage there. I imagine most of it is in Forks and I have not been there. And bring your passport for a day/overnight in Victoria and park the car in Port Angeles as everything you would want to see is walkable and you don’t need to worry about ferry reservations.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.