Take this test to see if you can identify the correct lowercase G. Most people can't

Am I the only one that tried to picture the Garth Brooks logo when choosing?
https://shop.garthbrooks.com/collections/accessories/products/2014-2016-world-tour-koozie

3 Likes

You’re the only one who will be brave enough to admit to it :wink:

13 Likes

Was anybody else annoyed with the random lonely pixel next to two of the options? Also, was anybody else annoyed with the lack of proper apostrophes on the video?
http://smartquotesforsmartpeople.com/

2 Likes

Wait, what? What kind of freaky cursive g looks anything like the ‘looptail g’? I can’t even imagine it. That’s not anything like the standard cursive g, and thinking about it, I don’t see how it’s even possible to do a cursive version, given that the “ear” is pointed in the wrong direction. Is it really a caligraphic/printed looptail g in what is otherwise cursive writing? (I do that myself with certain letters, for some reason.)

8 Likes

Got it right. I’m curious why.

Apparently, it’s called an ‘ear’.

4 Likes

All but 3 looked very weird to me. The I started doubting a bit because of the article assuring me that it was difficult, but I stayed firm and went for 3 anyway :slight_smile:

The experiments suggest our knowledge of letters can suffer when we don’t write them by hand.

But this is bullshit because you never write this g, it’s a print letter. Like a, which is hardly every written that way by hand.

12 Likes

I got it right, but G is one of my initials and I’ve had fun in the past with monograms. Otherwise, I don’t know if I would have gotten it right.

1 Like

Also some capital cursive letters have some really weird variations i could imagine would confuse the hell out of someone that never leaned cursive

For example. Some variations on the capitalized Q

10 Likes

Related question? Is cursive (longhand) still taught in schools?

2 Likes

I use this sometimes when I’m writing on the blackboard while teaching. I also use the typewriter ‘a’. It is usually at a point of extra emphasis, when I am introducing a slight slowdown (and extra neatness) in my writing. None of my students has ever asked what the letter was.

3 Likes

Q number 3 is the one I like to use in my handwriting :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some schools have stopped teaching cursive altogether but i don’t know how widespread that is. If i had kids i would make sure they learned, i think it’s a good skill to have even if its not used regularly these days.

3 Likes

I got it right, but I’ve done layout and design professionally, so I would have REALLY been alarmed if I’d missed it.

2 Likes

It depends upon the location and the districts therein.

Where I live cursive is still taught in elementary school; but I was fully prepared to teach it to my kid myself, if it hadn’t been.

4 Likes

“g-whiz!”

5 Likes

I’d recognize that OG anywhere.

5 Likes

I’ve used all of them, but its been ages since i’ve made myself write fully in cursive. I reckon i’d write with variation 4 if i had to.

There’s a variation of the F that i learned i had trouble finding an example of. I guess its uncommon?

I use the very first one on the top left.

5 Likes

Once a proofreader, always a proofreader <self-satisfied grin>

2 Likes

I’ve always been horrible at writing certain capitalized letters in cursive; A, F, Q, & H especially… so I write them the way they are printed with a little flourish.

Legibility and reader comprehension mattered more to me than doing it ‘correctly.’

3 Likes