Tesla is cutting prices as other EV automakers charge a premium

But not until the stack has velocity!

A vinyl overlay will peel right off. If anyone complains, call it paint protection. :wink:

8 Likes

If I were Musk, I’d hire an experienced auto exec and hand the keys over. Someone who will build out a service network and focus on growing an aftermarket and third-party support. The company has existed without marketing and advertisement, but that’s not going to fly in a more saturated market. Someone smart enough to cancel Cybertruck, which has a potential market already threatened by Hummer. Nobody carrying a lunchbox and thermos to work wants a truck that can’t carry enough stuff, especially when Ford has an F-150 for half the price.

The larger EV issue of charging infrastructure and connectors will likely end up being handled by standards bodies like SAE. Panasonic is behind the battery cell tech, and you can expect they’ll want to get their investment back via every car company who will bite.

Tesla’s big issue is that they are primarily a software company, and not necessarily a good one. It seems like they did a good job in engineering the bodies for safety, but turning the car into a nightmare of surveillance, DRM, and buggy decision-making has me running the other way.

4 Likes

Well, there’s your problem. Teslas don’t have anything so mundane as keys.

Excuse Me What GIF by Regal

8 Likes

If you were Musk, you’d do no such thing, because Musk is absolutely convinced that he’s a singular genius who turns everything to gold by his mere presence and he is irreplaceable and unique, and that it is only by his grace that anything works at all. The man’s universe revolves around himself so hard it has its own axial tilt.

Of course, what Twitter has revealed is that Elon is not, in fact, a genius, he’s a spoiled sociopath with a low boredom threshold, no self-control, and practically infinite resources, who isn’t an order of magnitude as smart as he thinks he is, and has never noticed that his other companies have entire teams devoted to protecting him from knowing any of the above, mainly by keeping him distracted with shiny things so that he doesn’t mash all the buttons while making vroom vroom noises.

17 Likes

In my head, I read your entire post in the voice of Benoit Blanc.

Entrefacasesegredos GIF by Knives Out

16 Likes

Snow White And The Seven Dwarves Dwarf GIF

8 Likes

I’ve had a Bolt since Halloween 2017. It’s been a great car - especially when I lived on top of a snowy mountain and commuted 116 miles a day. The battery replacement in June basically just gave me back 60,000 miles… GM performed unexpectedly well given how intransigent LG Chem was. All that and made in the US in a union shop… somehow Musk made GM look really good.

7 Likes

Wasn’t this all supposed to have been fixed by the USB-C standard? :smiley:

5 Likes

You jest, but there’s a serious point - the EU is far from perfect in saying “we’re gonna use this standard”, but they seem to be one of the better giant geographical blocs for being able to turn up and know you can plug in.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.