The Anonymous Project curates strange and mundane vintage slides

Of course not, but now the selfie is the norm, not the exception. And boxes of photos like these and K-Hole will fade away.

2 Likes

Maybe, maybe not. There are plenty of people taking photos of other things, even with the prevalence of selfies. And physical photos aren’t quite dead yet. Polaroid even has a new camera on offer that gives you a physical picture.

1 Like

Not to nitpick, but “the ones who are posing are not the ones holding the cameras” does not imply “But do you really think no one took pictures of themselves before cell phone cameras?”
:slight_smile:

My point was that selfies aren’t new or unique to the modern day. And that the kids aren’t nearly as stupid and vapid as people think. They said the same shit about literally every generation. Maybe time to break the cycle of “generational conflict”, yeah?

2 Likes

For the sake of clarity (which should answer any present assumptions or remaining ones out there):

My point was that selfies aren’t new or unique to the modern day.
Of course, I agree 100%, (think self-portraits going back hundreds of years) and I’m glad that you’ve clearly stated that point, it being more likely to benefit discussion than making a wide assumption as to what someone else is thinking. I’m sure you see my point.

And that the kids aren’t nearly as stupid and vapid as people think.
That may likely be the case, and I’m hoping that the concern about “the kids” is not being gleaned from my original post and not some assumption of what I was thinking. I believe that, generally, assumptions don’t nail down truth. (In the industry I work in, assumptions can result in injury and worse.) Having said that, I’ll risk an assumption here and say that if pre-cellphone generations had had cellphones, selfies very likely would have been taken with much, much greater frequency (due to the convenience, and not due to stupidity or vapidness; the driver appears be ‘convenience’)… which gets to my point in my original post; selfies weren’t being taken with any significant frequency in more previous generations, at least from what I’ve seen.

They said the same shit about literally every generation.
Yes. Possibly every generation has had things to say about previous generations, and future generations will almost assuredly have something to say about our generation, especially since another ‘great divider’ is shaping up to be technology and the associated changes.

Maybe time to break the cycle of “generational conflict”, yeah?
That would be a good thing, although I very much doubt that any decisions reached here will break that cycle. People, you know.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I see the picture and I hear Supertramp!

Found the filmmaker in the bunch! :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.